Mac Pro Eject key doesn't close tray

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by xneog37, Oct 13, 2006.

1. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

I'm using the current release (1940). When I boot into windows XP in parallels and press the eject key, the tray pops out. However, if I press it again, it doesn't slide back in. I can force the drive closed, but that'll prob. break it eventually. I can also disconnect the drive from parallels, press the eject button to close the try, then reconnect the drive. Yuck.

Anybody else having this problem?

I'm on a mac pro w/ 2 superdrives. The first is attached to parallels VM.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. gb14820

gb14820 Bit poster

can only close cd tray manually

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same computer (mac pro, 2 superdrives). I can open the tray using the eject key in the keyboard, but can't seem to close it any other way except by nudging it in.

3. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

On the Parallels window, lower right corner, click on CD > Disconnect.

4. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

As I said, this is what I have to do, but that seems crazy to have to disconnect the drive to close it.
    After all, I don't have to disconnect it to open it.

5. larryr3455

larryr3455 Bit poster

Me too. I close the tray by pushing on it. Makes me nervous. I guess I'll use the disconnect method.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

I don't understand why people are afraid to push the tray. The drives are designed to work that way, and I've been closing trays that way for many years. Just give it a gentle push (or push the button on the drive if it's accessible).

7. gb14820

gb14820 Bit poster

One problem is that the mac pro dvd tray, unlike the windows machines, does not have a button you press to close the tray.

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

Maybe this isn't a problem. Just give it a push. The button is usually under the drawer and hard to reach with the machine on the floor, so I close it with a push, and have been doing so for years, and have never seen a problem with the technique. Maybe remote open and close looks cool, but that's the only benefit I see.

Again, closing the drawer with a push WILL NOT harm the drive.

9. bgose

bgose Member

That's not the point.

The point is that Parallels needs to fix the problem. I'm having the exact same issue as all of the above (one superdrive only) and I currently have to push the tray back in.

I don't want to push the tray back in, I want to push a button.

Call me lazy, but if I'm used to pushing a button for everything else I think I should be able to expect to push a button when I'm using parallels.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

10. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

Word.

So I sent an email to their support address on 10/13. Got the automated response saying they'd get back to me within 3 business days.

So far, not a peep. Emailed on the 23rd requesting status of the ticket (#47731). Still not even a reply.

Good product, can't say much about my customer support experience so far.

11. Mahko

Mahko Bit poster

same problem here, just to get in my "me too"

12. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

Wow, another week gone and still no response from Parallels.

Do they actually response to requests for support? Case 47731 opened on Oct 13th and still not a peep from them.

I get they are prob. busy, but seriously -- it says 3 business days -- not 3 weeks or never.

13. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

Same issue here.

14. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Yes, Parallels has problems with injecting CD tray. We will fix it soon.

15. Bismarck

Bismarck Junior Member

How soon is "soon" ? Ynot, you said this in October, and it's now mid-January. I've installed 3120 (RC) and it still has this problem with injecting. Really lame when you consider that the web page announcing the RC for download says
    "NEW! Full-feature virtual CD/DVD drive".
    Maybe that should read
    "NEW! Full-feature virtual CD/DVD drive, including same OLD! bug".

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  16. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

Well, build 3170 just came out. Does this have a fix for the eject key?

So just how many months is the 'soon' in 'We will fix it soon'?

17. puithove

puithove Member

Look in this thread: http://forums.parallels.com/thread6900.html

mmika responds that it will not be fixed in this release but rather some future update.

Sheesh. :mad:

However, I do agree there are more pressing issues to be fixed currently.

18. xneog37

xneog37 Bit poster

Here I am 6 months after reporting this issue to Parallels and still nothing. I'm sure they could have fixed this in 6 months. Are they just not going to fix this and they don't want to tell me?

19. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Same problem over here :-(

20. mmika

mmika Pro

Dear Parallels users, it will be fixed into next version of Parallels certainly.