Parallels, Windows XP and AntiVirus

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by gstephens, Aug 17, 2006.

1. gstephens

gstephens Bit poster

Just curious what folks are using for antivirus (spyware all that fun PC stuff) for their Windows XP install running within Parallels on their Macs?

2. sfahey

sfahey Bit poster

Free version of AVG

http://free.grisoft.com

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

I never use windoze to access the internet (except M$.com). That's one of the best reasons to use Linux or a Mac, and let parallels run the monoply's productivity software used by the masses.

4. gstephens

gstephens Bit poster

In my case part of the reason I wanted Windows on the Mac was to access the Internet - I develop web applications and need to test cross platform/browser (test in buggy IE). Not sure I would want to have any Internet access on a Windows box without sometype of virus protection - too many vurnrabilities.

Best Buy had a good deal on Windows OneCare, which covers up to 3 machines (and was under 20 bucks), so I decided (against my better judgement) to give that a try. Seemed to install and run just fine - so that might be an option for people.

5. 1kabooki

1kabooki Bit poster

Forgive my ignorance and for bringing this thread to life back from the dead...

1) So, if running parallels, do I need to have a firewall program running with the Windows XP in Parallels? I was thinking about buying PCCillin Internet Security. If running Parallels in a Mac, does the Mac already firewall the internet connection for you? Should I also add a dedicated firewall in the Mac OS?

2) If you run an antivirus in the Mac, does it cover the Parallels VM/ Windows XP? Alternatively, if you have antivirus running in Parallels, does it screen the entire Mac harddrive (I assume not)? Do you have to have 2 Antivirus programs to cover everything or will one suffice?

3) I realize that it is extremely rare to get malware/virus in Mac OS. However, I am paranoid. What program do you guys recommend to run in Mac OS?

Thanks much in advance for all your help.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

The Mac and guest are effectively different computers running on the same hardware. Malware and virus protection for one has no more effect on the other than if they were running on different hardware.

I use and recommend an external hardware firewall router with SPI. They're cheap at $60 or so, and there's no chance of an OS exploit turning them off.