Parallels Desktop for Mac internal build 1966 is ready for download

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Oct 27, 2006.

1. PROSPEROUS

PROSPEROUS Bit poster

Cut(copy) and Paste of double byte characters from OSX to XP on parallels.

I am running XP home edition on a Apple Mac Mini.

Upgrading from version 1940-en and everything works great except:

Cut(copy) and Paste of double byte characters from OSX to XP on parallels does not work just as the previous versions. Hope that it will be fixed soon.

However I have been enjoying the great software which I regularly use for my work. Thank you very much.

Regards,

2. moosa@ismail.com

moosa@ismail.com Bit poster

Thanks... in Vista RC2 got this "critical error" message when trying to run a game..."Failed to create Directx device"

Not serious just reporting...

3. luz

luz Member

keyboard configuration file?

Keyboard configuration file? Sounds very interesting - is this something in Parallels I could manually edit to tweak the keyboard mapping? Any documentation on this available?

(I searched all the forum for the keywords "keyboard configuration file" and this is the only thread the term occurs...)

4. luz

luz Member

How does "shared networking" work?

Could someone please explain what the new "shared networking" is actually doing on the IP routing level? I have a setup of VMs with static IPs in a 10.x.x.x subnet which need to interact with each other, and I use Internet Sharing to give those VMs in the subnet access to the Mac's network connection.

I'm comfortable with Internet Sharing because I could find out what it is exactly doing (it's a NAT router, implemented with the natd daemon, routing the host-only subnet to the Mac's internet connection. There's an extended man page on natd). The only problem with this is that Apple forgot to have natd restart when network location switches, so I have to manually restart it every time the external IP changes. This is annoying, but usable.

It sounds that "shared networking" automatically adapts to changing external connections (and IPs), which would be a good thing. But without knowing how IP things work under the hood I'm reluctant to risk the current setup I technically understand for someting supposedly better, but currently a "blackbox".

5. jbrowdy

jbrowdy Member

Cisco VPN

I read that one poster had trouble connecting with Cisco VPN using shared networking- can anyone else verify this?

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

luz,

Shared Networking is implemented as NAT service (pvsnatd daemon) running on "Parallels NAT" (most frequently -- en3) network interface. The major benefits of using Shared Networking instead of Host-Only with Internet Sharing:
    * Simpler setup: no need to turn on OSX Internet Sharing manually.
    * Automatic adoption to network setup changes: you can switch Mac networking from wireless to Bluetooth modem and the guest OS will have new connections forwarded properly.
    * Compatibility with VPN software running on the Mac: Shared Networking will work through Mac PPTP connection.
    * Forwarding of NetBIOS name lookups and mDNS (Bonjour) name lookups (primarily printer discovery) from the guest to local network.

However, if you're used to Host-Only with Internet Sharing mode and it completely satisfies your needs you may merely continue using it.

mcg,

You're right, Host-Only mode provides an isolated network for your VMs. It may be necessary in some cases. And yes, you can disable Host-Only in OSX System Preferences/Network, but why bother?. Note that if you delete en2 configuration completely it will be recovered next time you install or upgrade Parallels Desktop.

7. tfcm

tfcm Bit poster

I Love You Guys!!!!

I can't tell you how much I love you guys right now. I might just bring pizza by if I am in the area one day. Being able to use my Verizon ExpressCard on my MacBookPro and Virtualization ROCKS!!!!!

Sorry if I sound over the top, but you have just made my life (and business) sooooo much better.

Kurt
    The Family Computer Man
    Frederick, MD

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Arrrgh!

I was running build 1920 OK. I'd resisted the urge to try the later builds. Along came build 1966. I was tempted, and fell.

I tried to upgrade and the installation failed. I tried reverting to 1940, and installation failed. I can install 1848, and that install works, but of course that needs the legacy mode patch. Anything else seems to fail at the post-install script step, and Parallels reports that it is then missing one of its drivers.

Any suggestions? I've bought and paid for this software, and now I can't use a half-recent version of it :(

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  9. tangential

tangential Member

I have the same problem (Shared Networking shows up, but is greyed out.) I shutdown all of my VMs, installed the build and rebooted. Shared networking is still greyed out.

Any advice?

(This is on a MacBook Pro with 2 gig ram.)

10. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Tim,
    I don't see an option for "Connection Sharing" mode. Are you referring to "Shared Networking" option or something else?

TIA,
    Peter

11. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Shared Networking broken for me in 1966...

I love the sound of this new shared networking but for me its broken. I have a MacBook Pro and I'm running on a wireless router with an address of 192.168.1.2 and my OSX machine grabs an IP in the 192.168.1.10X range. I see that the NAT adapter is on the 10.x.x.x network. This appears NOT to work for me. Are you telling me that I have to redo my router to use the 10.x.x.x range?
    Is something else broekn or do I need to do anything else to fix this?

Help?
    Peter

12. mcg

mcg Hunter

You shouldn't have to re-do anything at all on your router. The NAT that Parallels creates in the 10.x.x.x range is completely contained within your MacBook. All of the network traffic from all VM guests, along with your Mac OSX traffic, is piped through your single 192.168.1.10x address.

So it sounds like something else is going wrong here. Whatever you do, DON'T change your router.

Did you ever get your setup work with Host-Only Networking and Internet Connection Sharing? If so, it should work to edit your VM settings, change the adapter from Host-Only Networking to Shared Networking, and then restart the VM. Try going back to host-only networking+ICS first, get that working again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  13. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Shared networking fixes CiscoVPN/natd incompatibilities!!

Build 1966 has fixed what had been my number one problem using Parallels, and I could not be happier about it!! :D

I need to connect my Mac to my school's VPN service with the Cisco client, which kills the Mac's built in NAT service (natd). This is not a problem with Parallels itself, but rather a problem with the CiscoVPN and/or natd, which I don't really know much about. Parallels has now managed to free their users of this problem by making their own NAT server that plays nice with the CIsco VPN service.

I used to have to choose between having the Mac on the VPN or having the VM be able to connect to the Internet (as opposed to just the host machine).
    Now, with Shared Networking, everything "just works" :) :) :)
    I can go connect and disconnect the Mac from the Cisco VPN client without causing so much as a hiccup in the VM's connection.

Way to go, Parallels!!!

14. jezter

jezter Bit poster

Finally it works!!

I had just about given up on this software because I just never was able to get internet working. Now it works just fine. I did have to reinstall windows though because I had been messing wioth every conceivable IP setting and probably screwed something up. Reinstalled windows and Parallels tools and Voila! Works perfectly. I switch from ethernet to airport and the connection doesn't miss a beat!

Now I can trash the PC I hated to use and use Parallels. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to uninstall old tools, reboot XP and then install new tools.

16. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please reboot your Mac OS X - it will help.

17. michil

michil Junior Member

Still missing full USB Support

Hello,

Parallels is running perfectly for me but I still m issing full USB support. I have an Data Recorder device connecting via USB. Till 1940 version it was displayed as Data Recording Device in USB device list, but I wasn't able to connect it to the VM (well known error message "device is in use ....wait for ......."). With this new version the device is shown as "compound device" and I'm still not able to connect it to the VM.

Kind regards

Michael

18. Jerry

Jerry Member

Just in case someone else has the 'Shared Networking' option grayed out:
    - I tried the mac restart as per Andrew's suggestion, but it still stayed grayed out.
    - When I opened the Mac Network prefs, the mac came up with a prompt that a new port (en3) had been detected, and to check its config and click apply to activate.
    - After doing that. 'Shared networking was still grayed out, so I quit Parallels & started it back up again, and viola, it can now be selected!

19. ecallaghan

ecallaghan Bit poster

Internet Connection Fails

I decided to work from a colleagues house today so I could get on without being disturbed - I have however spent the last 3 hours trying desperately to get online within Parallels....In the office it normally works like a dream so I am getting more and more frustrated.
    I downloaded the 1966 world cup build to see if that would help - I liked the shared network feature but I still am unable to get to any website.

If I run ipconfig on the win xp box, I get 10.211.55.3

and on the mac - ifconfig returns this

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1356
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fe92:7410%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    ether 00:16:cb:92:74:10
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:16:cb:08:af:39
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:63:f7:d4
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    inet 192.168.3.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    media: autoselect status: active
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::210:32ff:fe54:7698%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
    inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    inet 192.168.4.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.4.255
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98

I have tried turning off Internet Sharing, turning it back on, - shared networking IS selected and when I turn of Internet Sharing and run ifconfig again...this is the response

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1356
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fe92:7410%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 192.168.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    ether 00:16:cb:92:74:10
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:16:cb:08:af:39
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:63:f7:d4
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::210:32ff:fe54:7698%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
    inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98

Am running out of ideas....

Anyone.....

20. serv

serv Forum Maven

ecallaghan,

Try the following:
    1. Turn off Internet Sharing on the Mac. It is unnecessary for "Shared Network" mode. Your second ifconfig output looks OK to me.
    2. Set your guest XP Connection TCP/IP properties to do everything automatically. Remove manual Gateway and DNS server settings.
    3. See if if works.

BTW, when you use IS on the Mac do not enable sharing to all available interfaces. This doesn't make much sense. For Host-Only with Internet Sharing you only need to have en2 checked.