Windows 98 install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GaryJ73167, Oct 30, 2006.

1. GaryJ73167

GaryJ73167 Bit poster

Strange problem I am having -

I am trying to install windows 98, and, things seem to be working fine. no errors, but, it is taking FFOORREEVVEERR to install .....It is going very very SSSLLLOOOWWW....

For example, after the format, it started to copy the needed files off the CD for the install, and, it was reporting that the time remaining was 109 minutes..I thought that it was just giving a false report of how long it was going to take, but, 10 minutes later, it was only at 2%.

Like I said, I received no errors, but, it was runing UNBELIEVABLY slow.

I changed the memory from 256 to 128, but, Windows 98 really shouldnt need that much memory, so, I dont think that should have anything to do with it

It is a known good (working) CD also, so, it is not a possibility of it being a bad disc.

My XP install was flawless. not a problem at all and raqn nice and smooth.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. rresom

rresom Bit poster

My Windows 98 install took several hours - between the slowness that you are also experiencing, the crashes, errors, unistalls, starting over, etc, etc. After finally getting it installed, I never could get it to recognize my HP printer - usb or nework. So, I gave up and returned the product to Nova.

The major issue people seem to have with Apple's Boot Camp is that you have to reboot each time you want to switch to Windows. For all the time I spent with this mess, I could have rebooted several thousand times in Boot Camp.

Good Luck.

3. GaryJ73167

GaryJ73167 Bit poster

thanks rresom....Out of curiosity, is Win 98 the only OS that is going to act this way ??

I tried it agaain last night, and, after an hour of installing, it just kinda errored out..was reporting thaat it could not find a file, and, I know this is a working disc, so, I am considering just scrapping the 98 idea.

But, I was thinking about some other OS's. Is win 98 the only one (That we know of) that will give me this kind of problem ?

4. pianoralph

pianoralph Junior Member

Hello,

Here is a newIMac owner trying to install Win 98 with Parallels. I am stuck when trying to open setup.exe. A dialogue box appears (sorry, Apple must have another name for these) and says, "There is no default application specified to open the document "setup.exe". There aren't many choices on the Recommended Applications list. I tried text editor, bad idea, now I can't get back to the list.

After reading Gary and rresom's comments, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just give up and buy Windows XP. I notice in the Parallels manual that it enables shared folders and clipboard, so presume 98 does not.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

To use that method, you need to install some version of DOS first (you can boot from a floppy), then run setup.exe from within the VM using DOS. Running it in OSX won't help.

6. pianoralph

pianoralph Junior Member

Checking out a posting from Alan - quote: Insert your Windows Installer CD, click the green arrow to "power up" your new Windows machine. It should start the normal installation process for your version of Windows, formatting its "hard drive".

When I click the green arrow, I am instructed to turn off the computer and turn it on again. So I do. Instead of getting the installation process from the installer CD, Finder appears on the screen with Ralph Thorn's computer activated. Can anyone explain to me what is happening?

Thanks,
    Frances

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

Don't take those "instructions" too seriously.

It probably meant turn off your VM and turn it on again. You asked me privately for instructions which I sent you. Have you read them? If you want to install Win98, that's how you have to do it. I doubt your install disk is bootable. Depending on what you want to use it for, XP may be a better choice for you.

8. pianoralph

pianoralph Junior Member

Thanks joem. Your message hasn't come in yet. I believe you're right about the Win98 disk, just putting in a call to my supplier to see if they can give me a bootable disk.

We are moving from an old pc with Win98 and need to use our QuickBooks and MS Office. It seemed okay to stick with the same version of Windows. We'll gradually switch to Mac software as finances permit but Parallels gives us a bit of breathing room. If I can ever get Windows installed, that is.

Look forward to your message of instruction.

9. colleenz

colleenz Bit poster

Joem, I have an ISO image of Win 98 boot, which is working well, but then I don't know how to get from the MS DOS prompt to the CD drive to install the Win 98 application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a MacBook Intel G5 which I' m pretty disappointed in. It won't recognise my Firewire drives as boot drives, & more importantly won't recognise my NEC PetiScan driver; however; the WIN 98 driver works on my iBook G4. That's why I'm trying to get
    Win 98 installed on Parallels, so that I can use it on the MacBook. Many thanks, Colleen

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

Well, I'm a little confused. There is no such thing as an Intel G5. If it's a G5, Parallels won't run. If it's an Intel, Parallels will run and you should have the latest (build 1970) version.

For an Intel Mac to boot from an external drive, it must have the Intel version of Tiger installed. If OSX was installed using a PPC (G3, G4, or G5) it won't boot on an Intel Mac.

I don't know what your definition of "working well" means with regard to the Win98 ISO image, but if you attached it to the Parallels CD, and managed to boot DOS from a floppy image and actually HAVE a DOS prompt, the CD will be drive D and you just need to run the setup program which you will have to look for on the CD. AFAIK, Win98 disks are not bootable so you have to boot from a floppy to install.

If the above doesn't solve your problem, post again with accurate details.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. colleenz

colleenz Bit poster

trying to be accurate

OK, I've been working at this thing for so long that I'm confusing myself. I do have a new MacBook 2g, white, 13". Also have a G4 iBook 12'" (that I love), but it only has a 30g HD & doesn't burn DVD's. That is the reason I bought the MacBook.
    I have a nib WIN 98. I opened it yesterday. The pkg. contained a boot floppy, which Parallels won't recognise, the WIN 98 application CD & a 'get started' CD. I found a boot CD ISO image on the net. Parallels does recognise this & installs it or 'runs' it & that's where I get stuck.

For an Intel Mac to boot from an external drive, it must have the Intel version of Tiger installed. If OSX was installed using a PPC (G3, G4, or G5) it won't boot on an Intel Mac.

The MacBook won't let me install the intel version of Tiger on my Firewire drives. I do have the firmware update installed on the MacBook.

I don't know how to 'attach' the ISO boot image. I directed Parallels to install the OS from the 'image' under the CD/DVD pref. which it does. I think the last thing I saw it install was the 'mouse', then I get the MS Dos prompt & can't get any further. I know the CD is in Dr D, but don't know how to get Parallels to go there next. I'm sorry if this sounds confusing. I just want my PetiScan to work & NEC doesn't support the Apple driver anymore, just the WIN 98 driver, which is what I use on the iBook with Virtual PC 6. If you can tell me how to get the intel version of Tiger on my Firewire drives & how to get WIN 98 installed (detailed instructions), I'll bake you some virtual cookies. My Trial Version of Parallels runs out on the 15th. Thanks again, Colleen

12. joem

joem Forum Maven

Well, the easy one first: To install Intel Tiger on a FW drive, you must first format the drive using Apple's Disk Utility, and select the GUID format type under options in Disk Utility. Once it is formatted, start your machine from the Tiger DVD, and select the FW drive to install on. An alternative, after you format the FW drive, is to use SuperDuper (download from the vendor site shirtpocket.com) to clone your Macbook drive to the FW drive. You can then boot from the FW drive.

As to installing Win 98, once you get the DOS prompt, type
    D:
    dir

and look at what is on the root of the drive. If you see setup.com or setup.exe, just type
    setup

to start the install. If there is no setup program in the root directory, look around for it. Try the i386 directory if there is one. I've never tried to install Win95, 98, or ME so I don't know how the install disks are laid out. :D

BTW, I don't recognize the term "nib" and I don't know what a "PetiScan" is.

That ought to keep you busy for a couple of hours. Make those cookies oatmeal raisin please.

13. colleenz

colleenz Bit poster

nib is "new in box" & a PetiScan is a small scanner made by NEC. It's listed as NEC PetiScan. I use it, obviously, for small scans like labels or photos. I'm putting together DVD's of all the family pics. for family members. Quite a job. My big scanner is an Epson perfection. With the PetiScan I can take it to the community club to work on my projects.
    Oatmeal raisin cookies once I get it all going. Thanks bunches, Colleen.

14. colleenz

colleenz Bit poster

I think it's going to work! The trial v of Parallels doesn't let you share folders so I took a chance & ordered the new one. Now I have to erase my HD because I can't get rid of the Boot Camp partition. When I've done that & re-installed the software, I'll be ready to install Parallels & start all over. I'm taking on the shape of a chair, what a kfuffle! Colleen

15. colleenz

colleenz Bit poster

As promised, cookies.jpg Many thanks, Colleen

16. joem

joem Forum Maven

Yum.......