why only 1 processor on MacPro for Windows?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blomasky, Oct 31, 2006.

1. blomasky

blomasky Member

Just curious. I notice when opening task manager in windows I only see 1 CPU. Does Parallels use more than one cpu when running an o/s? (it seems pretty fast with just one so I figure that with 2 or more it should SCREAM!)

Bruce

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

A quick search will turn up numerous threads on this topic, if you want more info.
    The short version is the Core DUO chip only supports virtualization using 1 of it's 2 cores. This is not a Parallels issue. It's an Intel issue.

3. ddmerino

ddmerino Bit poster

VTMac,
    Could you clarify something regarding your statement, please.
    The MacPro does not use Core Duo processors. It has Dual Core Xeon processors.
    The MacBook Pro uses Core 2 Duo while the Mac Mini uses Core Duo processors.
    Were you referring to the Dual Core Xeon, Core 2 Duo, Core Duo or to all the dual
    core processors regarding your statement that the Core Duo chip only supports
    virtualization using 1 core.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1 Core for OS X, 1 Core for XP

Actually it is part of Parallels Desktop design. One core is used by Mac OS X and the other core is used by Windows XP - it brings excellent resource management and optimal performance for both systems running simultaneously.

5. barkingsheltie

barkingsheltie Bit poster

Andrew,

What happens with something like the Mac Pro with two dual cores? Does Parallels still restrict the guest OS to one core?