Parallels has problems with 2 XP VM's

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ddmerino, Oct 30, 2006.

1. ddmerino

ddmerino Bit poster

I installed the latest built 1966 and even with the latest built, Parallels can't still handle more than 1 VM without stunting the activity of other VM. I have a Quad Mac Pro 2.66GHz with 5GB of memory and each XP has 500 MB of memory so there's plenty of free memory to spare. Has anybody experiencing the same? It would probably hose Parallels with 3 or more VM's.

I guess Parallels is not yet mature enough to handle multi VM environments.

2. Marko

Marko Member

Parallels work fine with multiple VM's... I have run 3 at once on a Mac Mini.

How have you set Parallels Memory under Preferences?

Make sure that the Memory preferencess under Parallels Preferences is set to something slightly larger than the total memory allocated for each VM used... so your 2x VM @ 500Meg - so set Parallels Memory Prefs to just over 1024MB eg 1200MB

3. ddmerino

ddmerino Bit poster

Marko,
    Thanks for the response. I have allocated around 1500MB in the Memory preferences but still have the same problem with one XP VM sluggish compared with the other, however, if I suspend one VM, then the remaining XP VM is very responsive. What I've noticed is that when having the memory monitor on display, 1 CPU out of the 4 seems to be taking on most of the load. Once in the while the 3 others will spike up but most of the time only 1 has all the bars at the top. Has anybody found a way to direct an individual VM to use a specific CPU?

4. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

What reserved memory limit (Parallels desktop menu - preferences - memory tab) do you have??

5. ddmerino

ddmerino Bit poster

Right now, it is set to 1500MB. I've played around with the numbers between 1250 to 3500 MB with no effect at all.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

And how much you configured for each of yours VMs?

7. ddmerino

ddmerino Bit poster

As I have stated at the beginning of this thread, I have allocated 500MB for each XP VM. So for both, I presume 1000MB (1GB) will be used by the VMs. I have reserved total of 1500MB currently for Parallels and the 2 VMs per my preferences in the memory tab.