Fedora Core 6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thenewbf, Oct 25, 2006.

1. thenewbf

thenewbf Bit poster

Has anybody managed to get it installed and running yet? If not, how long do you figure until it's officially supported by Parallels?

2. davide

davide Member

What problems did you find when you tried?

A distro doesn't have to be "officially supported" to run. Neither Ubuntu nor Slackware are listed in the user guide as supported yet both run just fine.

3. hans-dampf

hans-dampf Bit poster

I have successfully installed FC6, and here is what I had to "hack"

- FC6 installs the xen kernel by default, which crashed in PD. -> You have to install the normal kernel.
    - RHGB (X server) did have a messed up resolution. -> You have to set your resolution in xorg.conf

To accomplish these two steps, boot into rescue mode after the installer reboots the firs time. To do so, enter "linux rescue" at the installer prompt, choose your language and keyboard, configure your network card, and let the installer mount your FC6 at /mnt/sysimage.
    When you have done so, enter "chroot /mnt/sysimage".
    Now you can install the kernel by entering "yum install kernel". After the kernel is installed, you can change the line "default=1" in /boot/grub/grub.conf to "default=0" to use the non-xen kernel as default.
    To have a correct display, I added the line
    Modes "1280x800"
    (change 1280x800 to whatever resolution you like) beneath the line
    Depth 24
    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Now reboot your system and voila.

4. D Kensinger

D Kensinger Bit poster

Success with Fedora Core 6

I succeeded in installing on a Macbook and the only thing I had to do was add the 1280x800 mode to get a useable resolution.

However, I couldn't get the sound to work. Anyone else have problems with this?

D Kensinger

5. davide

davide Member

I haven't played with FC 6yet, but here's how I solved this in Slackware. The sound is muted by default. Run alsamixer as root and unmute everything and set the volume bars to 90%. If I recall, the 'm' key toggles the mute setting, arrow keys adjust the volume. You'll need to move thru all the settings.

Then exit alsamixer and do 'alsactl store'.

You'll probably need to add your username to the group 'audio'.
    'gpasswd -a user audio'

Reboot and see it if that works in FC.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  6. D Kensinger

D Kensinger Bit poster

davide,

Thanks for your quick reply. Indeed, all I had to do was go to System>Preferences>Sound and ensure the right device was selected (in my case it was the first Intel one on the list). And you were right, the sounds were muted by default. After that it worked great!

Now I need to see if the fancy effects will work...

7. cassj

cassj Bit poster

hans-dampf, thanks for your detailed solution to getting Fedora Core 6 to work! I did excatly what you said and FINALLY got FC6 going. The compiz Desktop Effects arent supported though. :-(

If anyone has figured out how to get the Compiz Desktop Effects working, Id love to know. Unfortunately, I think it's a Parallesl limitation. crud.

Cheers....Cassj

8. WordWarrior

WordWarrior Bit poster

I have a stupid question. How do I boot into rescue mode? I was able to boot into the grub menu, but I couldn't get it into rescue mode.

9. WordWarrior

WordWarrior Bit poster

Nevermind. All I had to do was change the boot order to CD first, and once I applied the steps above, change it back to hard drive first.

10. dknightd

dknightd Bit poster

The only problem I had was setting the resolution. It defaults to 1600x1200.
    I couldn't change it using the screen resolution preference pane.
    So I grabbed an /etc/X11/xorg.conf off another working machine
    and changed the resolution in that.
    Then no problem.

During the install process the sound didn't work, but after it was
    installed it worked fine without any changes (I assume this was because
    during the install it could not access the PD sound processor).

You've got to love this. OSX, WinXP, Fedora5, fedora6 all running at the same time on the same laptop! I use OSX for 90% of my stuff, but sometimes it is handy to have winxp and fedora available.

Parallels is a great program. Thanks.

11. jmac7

jmac7 Bit poster

fc6 everything but desktop-effects.

i got fc6 working with sound. Pretty smooth.

there was 1 problem, X started but the screen
    was all squirrelly for lack of better word, diagonal
    hash marks all over the place. Copied over an
    xorg.conf from a fc3 system, edited it to use the vesa
    driver with low resolution and it started fine.

Sound worked for me without any tweeking.

tragiclly i dont think the desktop-effects are ever going to
    work with the vesa driver and this is the only driver i can
    get to work with X11.

im running OS X 10.4.8 on a mac book pro, intel dual core
    cpu , with 2gb ram. Im running the latest parallels build 1840,
    it seems to be hiding more version info from me ;-)

12. andreground

andreground Junior Member

Not working for me...

Hi,
    I'm experiencing problems with FC6 under Parallels for MAC build 1940.

I'm using the non xen kernel but it crashes at startup.

Please have a look at the screenshot and help me!
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

13. andreground

Please...

Please help me!!

Thanks in advance!

14. philjs

philjs Bit poster

Try reducing the memory available to the VM. I see a similar failure installing FC5 with 1GB RAM allocated however reducing the 512MB works.

I believe there is a thread elsewhere covering this though it was rather old IIRC hence I'd hoped the problem would have been sorted by now.

Regards,

Phil

15. jonmills

jonmills Bit poster

16. andreground

Yes!

Thanks guys!
    It's working now!

So nobody could use FC6 with more than 512MB ram? :(

Will Parallels do something to fix this?

17. stephdau

stephdau Bit poster

I have posted a ready-built Fedora Core 6 for people interested in trying out FC6, but not having the time or energy to install it themselves. :)

You can read about and find it on my blog.

It's using the default kernel, using the specific memory allocation trick, but that can easily be switched once Fedora is running.

There's also a previous post on my first install, which actually refers to this very thread.

Hoping it might help.

18. philjs

philjs Bit poster

np

I don't think 512MB is a hard and fast limit, some folks have reported success with more memory yet reported failure at 512MB.

Regards,

Phil

19. palter

palter Hunter

Well, the chipset they emulate limits you to 512MB of physical RAM. The fact that it works for some people is just plain strange.

My FC6 VM runs fine at 512MB. If I give it any more, it crashes on boot. I've tried the "mem=nopentium" option as well but it doesn't help.

And now a slightly different issue...

If I suspend my FC6 VM and later resume it, it will hang. This only occurs when I leave the image suspended for a long time (over several hours). It happens in both 1940 and 1970. Anyone seen anything like this?

20. tmp0404

tmp0404 Bit poster

So I installed FC6, I never got to run in graphical mode (KDE or Gnome), the system starts and it takes me to the login prompt. Any suggestions, would be appreciated. I must mention that I previously had FC5 installed with no problems whatsoever. Since Parallels is supposed to support Fedora, it would be nice to see it work without having to use all of these workarounds mentioned.

How about it Parallels, I see you have no response in this thread, what's the best way to install FC6 without editing all of these Linux configuration files, trying to install a different kernel, etc. Please help us out and thanks in advance.