Ubuntu 6.10 pretty much all Ok ..

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jon, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Jon

Jon Bit poster

I am running ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft as I type this =) .. it's all pretty much ok except one or two font oddities (the font in the scrollbar is unreadable) and what seems a long black moment after the grub stage. I haven't run this on a PC so I am not sure whether there is supposed to be something displayed as a splash screen but it does boot into the gdm login window without issues.

The same "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" steps can be used to reconfigure the screen settings to your liking. Edgy seems to boot quicker than it's 6.06 cousin (parent?).

2. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

I just upgraded from 6.06 to 6.10. I had a startup splash screen in 6.06, but now I too see a blank screen when the splash is supposed to appear. Otherwise things are working fine for me so far.

3. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

I have a question.
    When you shut down ubuntu, what is happening?
    For me, I only can see the black screen. It doesn't go back to the parallels' main screen where I can see configurations and resources settings.

4. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

I get the same thing. But the latter behavior (not going back to Parallels' main screen) used to happen with 6.06, too. That's a consquence of Ubuntu not being able to power down the virtual machine. It can halt the operating system, but for some reason it is unable to tell the "hardware" to turn itself off.

The black screen problem is specific to 6.10, however. In 6.06, I'd see a splash screen with an Ubuntu logo, a progress meter (a horizontal bar that slowly fills up as the OS loads), and scrolling status messages both on startup and on shutdown. In 6.10 I see only a blank screen.

I did some research and investigation, and it looks like other folks are experiencing this problem even on non-virtual machines. See for example this recent thread in the Ubuntu forums.

One person said reinstalling usplash worked for them:

sudo apt-get install usplash --reinstall

But it didn't work for me. Adding vga=791 (1024x768 resolution) to my grub configuration file as per step 6 of the usplash customization howto got things partially working again. The Ubuntu logo and progress meter now appear on both startup and shutdown, but the scrolling status messages do not.

I also tried adding the custom resolution 1024x768 to the list of custom resolutions in the VM configuration, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

5. Roner

Roner Junior Member

As far as I know, there are no scrolling messages in the 6.10 usplash.

To get it working, edit /etc/usplash.conf and change the resolution to 1024x768, add vga=791 to the grub options, run sudo update-grub and sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash, and you're home free. These will only work on the running kernel.

A different question: on my virtual machine the progress bar of update-manager and synaptic do not display the proper colors, but a pale white instead, with the timing mostly invisible. Anyone else encountered this problem? Also, on my iMac 20" it seems the only working resolution now is 1680x1050 (I don't mind that, but I do want to have more options).

Thanks.

6. bytesplit

bytesplit Bit poster

Hi Roner,

I'm running a 6.10 updated from 6.06 and it's also showing white colored progress meters. I didn't investigate the problem, so no solution yet.

For the resolutions, take a look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Very to the end there should be the resolutions listed. You should have a list for every color depth like:

Code:
    1280x1024 1024x768 800x600 640x480
    This is for me then available in the desktop and switchable at any time. It will always stick to the highest resolution by default, color depth is set by the DefaultDepth parameter.

HTH

7. tmp0404

tmp0404 Bit poster

Jon,

You mention the sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command to configure the resolution, for me, I would like 1280 x 800. Is this all that needs to be done, do any files also need to be altered? Please advise and thanks.

8. plasticaugus

plasticaugus Bit poster

I am getting wierd video corruption in 6.10 though I upgraded everything and fixed my xorg.confg.

Getting garbed text on some of the menus.

Using a VESA driver on my MacBook

9. Roner

Roner Junior Member

Hi Bytesplit,

Thank you for your reply. I already heard from others regarding the problem with the progress bars. Weird indeed, and no solution posted yet.

My xorg.conf file includes only my desired resolutions (1680x1050, 1280x800, 1024x768), but strangely enough, more resolutions appear on the gnome resolutions selector (1680x1024, 800x600, 640x480). Any attempt to change resolution to my values crashes X; the additional ones make no change at all. Any thoughts?

10. Garrick Anson

Garrick Anson Bit poster

use "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to add your resolution. I have noticed that just changing the xorg.conf doesnt always work, and had crshed my vm once.

11. macguy

macguy Member

I tried running this and it hangs on the third screen in the dialog after I accept the defaults on the first two screens.

???

12. barddzen

barddzen Bit poster

What version of parallels are you using?

I'm trying to get Ubuntu 6.1 installed and can't get past pointing it to the .iso...

13. Joelist

Joelist Bit poster

I also cannot get Edgy Eft to install completely. The installation stalls out at hardware detection for IDE.

I am running the latest version of Parallels on a Macbook Pro with the 2.16 Ghz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM and the 256MB GPU. I have 1GB RAM dedicated to Linux in the VM.

14. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

Try switching to 512MB RAM allocated to the VM. I and other folks have reported various problems booting/installing with 1GB RAM allocated, although at the moment I only have problems booting with that much memory after an OS crash.

15. lithe951

lithe951 Member

I just installed 6.10, so far so good. It's downloading 82 updates right now...touch wood. MBP 2Gb Core duo, allocated 512Mb to the vm and it seems to be running well so far. This is the first linux distro I've run in a couple years so it will be interesting to see.

Mark

16. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Well everything looks good. I was able to add to my resolutions as above, and adding vga=791 fixed the splash screens too. At least I know when it's finished shutting down now. Anyone have a fix for the power-off problem? Or is that just something we have to live with?

All in all, I'm impressed. It's really a nice OS and I'm enjoying digging around in it.

Mark