Slingmedia Slingbox Slingplayer on Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mcunixjr, Apr 15, 2006.

1. mcunixjr

mcunixjr Bit poster

Today I got Slingplayer to work, without much problem at all, on Parallels Beta 3

I posted the information on my blog

:D

Parallels is awesome. I have sent in my $40 and I am very much looking forward to final version so I can run full screen on my MacBook 2.0ghz system

2. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I also have a Macbook Pro and I read in another thread in this forum that there is a sync problem with respect to audio/video in beta 3. I observed this for a video obtained from yahoo -- seemed to be about a half-second difference. I am curious if the slingbox player app is showing this synchronization issue. If not, I wonder if you could use IE under XP to play a video -- e.g. a movie preview and observe whether you see the audio and video to be in sync.

I was thinking that I might take the slingbox plunge, but I want to make sure that the media presentation under Parellels is truly usable. For me, based on Windows Media Player 10's performance, it's not. But it could be just my setup.

Jim

3. mcunixjr

mcunixjr Bit poster

Jim,

there is at times a slight out of sync to audio/video, but very slight. It is noticeable if you watch the lips :)

I think things can only get better as Parallels progresses of course, and that is why I decided to take the plunge into SlingMedia and Parallels land.

Playing the Hedge trailer from www.apple.com/trailersdreamworks/overthehedge/trailer1/oth_mdm.html does show more audio/video out of sync than the Slingplayer.

4. dwrowley

dwrowley Junior Member

mcunixjr,

Yes - Slingplayer under Parallels is quite cool! (You can pry my slingbox from my cold dead fingers :)) And I'd LOVE to have a native mac version of the client (supposedly coming in Q2).

Are you sure there is no delay on yours between A/V? I get perfect sync on Slingplayer on my mac when I boot into full XP using bootcamp, but a consistent 0.5-1 second audio lag on all video (WMP, VLC, IE, SlingPlayer) under Parallels (2.1b3). For me, this makes SP unwatchable, but then perhaps I'm not normal (I'm usually not).

What config do you have? You say you have a 2ghz MBP, right? How much memory? (I'm currently running with 512mb)

Parallels team - does this issue make sense? Is it a known VM problem? Is it likely to be addressed in the full GA version (or before)?

Thanks.

5. mcunixjr

mcunixjr Bit poster

OK - watching "Married with Children" there is a noticeable .25 to .5 second lag between the Audio and Video. Sometimes it matches perfectly however.

My MacBook has 2gig of RAM and I have set the VM to have 300MB of RAM currently.

I just upped the memory to 760MB (sounded like a good number) and it seems to reduce the lag to about .25 consistently

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  6. dwrowley

dwrowley Junior Member

That might explain the differences, then. I'm only running with 156mb on the VM (the max recommended with 512mb physical). I'm upping my memory to 2gb in the next couple of weeks, so perhaps it will improve then.

Although it would be great if the Parallels team could fix it in smaller memory configs.

7. wesley

wesley Pro

I'm theorizing that somewhere in PW there's a sound buffer and while filling it up, there's the initial stutter and there's about that much delay between what's on the screen and what's played on the speakers. With enough memory the buffer doesn't get much lag in filling up, hence a bit better performance. Let's see what happens with beta4. :)

8. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

Got sound, bad video (Slingbox, Parallels, Win 2000)

Hi,

I’ve never used Slingbox until today. I like in Australia.

A friend in Singapore is allowing us to test Slingbox. Apparently using the SlingPlayer client in Bootcamp works wonderfully.

But under Parallels + Win 2000, I get a garbled video. Great sound though. This is my first experience using Slingbox, so maybe I’m missing something really simple?

I’ve tried going to:
    Display Properties: settings: Advanced: Troubleshooting: to turn off the hardware acceleration. Which did not help. That was the only thing I could think of.

I suspect this is related to Parallels or Win 2000 not having compatibility with DirectX. Unfortunately I don’t have XP to try out. Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 2GHz/2GB/7200 100GB/Parallels RC1/Win 2000.