Build 1970 - Shared Networking option greyed out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rsanheim, Nov 2, 2006.

1. rsanheim

rsanheim Bit poster

I recently upgraded to build 1970 to check out the snazzy new networking mode. When I view my VM options, the new "shared networking" mode is greyed out. I've successfully used bridged and host only mode, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Any ideas?

This is win xp w/ service pack 2, a pretty clean install, macbook pro, etc...

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to reboot Mac OS X - it should help.

3. Mahko

Mahko Bit poster

i have the same problem, and re-booting did NOT work.

what's worse, i have LOST network connectivity completely, either even after restarting my computer and my VM several times. i even re-installed Parallels, to no avail.

Bridged or Host-only-- either way i have NO network, and i have re-started Internet Sharing under OS X several times.

help!

Mac Pro 2.66
    8GB RAM (1396MB assigned to VM)
    OS X 10.4.8

EDIT 2

uninstalled and re-installed Tools, rebooted VM and now i have my network again, but Shared Networking is still greyed-out.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  4. serv

serv Forum Maven

rsanheim and Mahko,

Please, do not panic. Open Mac System Preferences / Sharing and turn off Internet Sharing. Now open System Preferences / Network. If the system prompts you about new adapter (en3), configure it with all defaults and close System Preferences.
    Now, please open the Terminal and type 'ifconfig'. Are en2 and en3 interfaces on the list?
    Again in the terminal 'ps axuwww|grep [p]vsnatd'. Does it show up?
    Open Parallels, and check if you can configure the VM with Shared Network.

5. Mahko

Mahko Bit poster

thanks serv!

no panic happening here, but:

1) en2 and en3 ARE on the list

2) /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/pvsnatd appears

3) i still can NOT select Shared Network (greyed-out)

EDIT: also, when i turned Internet Sharing off and back on, i did not receive a notice that a new adapter was found.

EDIT 2: under Internet Sharing i have the following listed:

Built-in Ethernet 1
    Built-in Ethernet 2
    Built-in FireWure
    Ethernet Adaptor (en2)

there is no en3 listed

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  6. paulz42

paulz42 Bit poster

Same problem here,
    Rebooted, en2 and en3 exist and pvsnatd is running but still no Shared Network selectable.

7. MacUser

MacUser Member

Shared networking is not functioning

Hello Forum,

I can select the option for Shared networking (not greyed out) but when I try to open a webpage in XP there is no connection. I don't get warnings when starting Parallels. Bridged networking (default adapter) however works fine.

In the Network panel of OSX all interfaces (en2 +en3) are active and have got IP numbers from Parrallels. My MacBookPro and the VM with XP have (unique) fixed IP numbers, is this the reason why Shared networking is not functioning ?

Regards Wim.

8. Jerry

Jerry Member

MacUser, after successfully using the 'Shared networking' feature with built 1966, it stopped working as soon as I updated to built 1970. The option was still there, not grayed out, and selected, but no communication from the VM to the network. Then I noticed that in my mac network prefs the en3 was connected but with no IP address. I went back in to Parallels (no VM running) and changed my DHCP Shared Networking address from the default 10.211.55.1 to 196.12.12.1 (just any other IP address). When I went back to the Mac network prefs, it now showed a green light & was up & running. I started the VM, and networking was back & functioning again. I haven't bothered changing the DHCP back to the default to see if it will work again, as it's still working with my new IP range.

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

Mahko,

Please post your 'ifconfig' output. You can edit en0 and en1 IP addresses if you care. Also try the following from the terminal 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd', then 'tail /var/log/system.log' and post tail output too.

10. MacUser

MacUser Member

Update

Hello Jerry, thanks for posting your solution. I tried it but unfortunately it don't work for me.
    All interfaces have green bullets in the Network panel and the respons to the IP range change was quick and proper but still I can't get a connection in the VM. I think I must skip Shared networking and stay with the Bridged ethernet option that works OK.

UPDATE
    After I switched the DHCP IP range (set in the prefs of Parallels) to the same range as I use for the static IP numbers of my network (start and end numbers of the range as set in Parallels are not conflicting with the other IP numbers of the network) shared networking is now fine.

In OSX the ethernet connection is on top of the Airport connection so the faster ethernet connection is used when the cable is attached.
    When the cable is unplugged the connection switches automaticly to wireless.

Now, with the new IP range I have the same fine behavior when running the VM with XP.
    In bridged mode I had to restart Parallels when the connection was changed but not anymore !
    So that proves that Shared networking is indeed functioning as it should.

Wim.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  11. serv

serv Forum Maven

MacUser,

Can you please gather some more information for me?
    1. Set your VM to Shared Network mode and start it.
    2. In Windows Terminal type 'ipconfig /all' and post results here.
    3. Again in the Terminal type 'ping www.parallels.com'. Are replies coming back?

12. derek

derek Bit poster

Same Problem

I have the same problem and have zero connectivity. I previously was using the host-only networking as described in the sticky in the forums. I installed 1970 and had zero connectivity. I've tried stopping internet sharing, restarting, and resintalling and have had zero success.

As per your questions to other posters, here is the output of my ifconfig...

dmac:~ derek$ ifconfig
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:feca:350f%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 10.144.30.75 netmask 0xffffe000 broadcast 10.144.31.255
    ether 00:16:cb:ca:35:0f
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:febf:1ffd%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet 192.168.1.55 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    ether 00:16:cb:bf:1f:fd
    media: autoselect status: active
    supported media: autoselect
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:65:b2:24
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::210:32ff:fe54:7698%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
    inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98
    dmac:~ derek$ ps axuwww|grep [p]vsnatd
    root 207 0.0 -0.0 29848 660 ?? S 9:50AM 0:00.32 /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/pvsnatd
    dmac:~ derek$

now the ipcofig /all output...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx.CTI-NT>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxx
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : xxxx.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxx.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-63-C8-16-0F-F3
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.37.129.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.37.129.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.37.129.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.37.129.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 03, 2006 9:55:30 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 10, 2006 9:55:30 AM

In the networking side on the mac, all of the networking adapters show up green.

Help would be greatly appreciated as this is my work machine and Im currently dead in the water.

Im on a MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM, 10.4.8 and Im running XP

Derek

13. derek

derek Bit poster

followup:

networking in the vm is currently set to host-only.

14. serv

serv Forum Maven

derek,

Host-only mode limits your VM connectivity to Mac only. This is what it is designed for.
    The new mode in 1966 (and 1970) is Shared Networking. If you want to use it, turn off Internet Sharing in Mac System Preferences and configure your VM to Shared Networking, not Host-only.
    Leave all connection settings in Windows as automatic. Do not provide manual gateway or DNS.

15. derek

derek Bit poster

Thanks serv. I actually just tried that and I'm up and running. I'll be suprised if others dont have the same issues since the sticky on networking troubles suggested that as a solution in previous versions.

16. jubalkessler

jubalkessler Bit poster

Shared networking option is still greyed out

Greetings,

I still cannot make the Shared Networking option appear. I am using build 1970. I do NOT have Mac OS X's "Internet Sharing" active. I DO see the en2 and en3 interfaces in the output of `ifconfig -a`. I am currently using wireless (e.g. en1 interface).

What do I need to do to make this Shared Networking option appear?

(not easly panicked, but growing rather frustrated and not a little angry....)

17. jubalkessler

jubalkessler Bit poster

OK. Immediate problem of enabling "Shared Networking" option is solved. The important step is apparently going to the Mac OS X "System Preferences"/"Networking", receiving the prompt that the en3 interface is new, adding it, and then restarting Parallels.

Now I have a new problem.

I can't get networking to work in ANY of the three modes: Bridged, Host-only, or Shared.

In the "System Preferences"/"Networking" panel, the en3 interface shows as red, saying that the interface is not configured.

Please keep in mind that I am using the absolute default for everything (Windows and Mac OS X), I am on wireless, and I have zero problems with my normal Mac OS X networking -- I can ping, resolve DNS, etc.

I just can't do it from within the Windows VM.

18. serv

serv Forum Maven

jubalkessler ,

Lets see...
    1. en2 and en3 present. Are IPv4 addresses (10.37.129.2 and 10.211.55.2 by default) present for them?
    2. Try 'ps axuww|grep [p]vsnatd'. Does it show up?
    3a. If not try 'sudo /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/pvsnatd', then 'tail -f /var/log/system.log'. What messages from pvsnatd are listed?
    3b. If pvsnatd process present, try 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd' then 'tail -f /var/log/system.log'. What messages from pvsnatd are listed?
    4. Now try Shared Network in your VM. In Windows terminal type 'ipconfig /all'. What do you see?
    5. If no valid IP (expect 10.211.55.3) shows up, try 'ipconfig /renew'.

19. jubalkessler

jubalkessler Bit poster

Shared networking works now, thank you.

Initially, the en3 interface showed as red, then green, in the Networking syspref. It changed after a number of XP reboots and fiddling with the Parallels networking preferences.

This time, I was able to establish a network connection to the Internet.

I really, really wish I could have provided diagnostics for the exact problem I had (to help you with further improvement of the product), but when it comes to troubleshooting Parallels networking, unfortunately, it is very frustrating.

Perhaps improve the documentation on your website and in the product itself. The Help does NOT have a section about shared networking listed in the Index page, for build 1970, and this is not good.

Also, and this is even more frustrating to me as a customer (I paid for the product) -- why does the main Parallels webpage NOT have a link to the forums under its Support section?

20. MacUser

MacUser Member

@ serv

Ahum....
    Where can I find the program "Windows Terminal" or "Terminal" ?
    I did a search in XP for this application but it didn't show up.

Can you tell me in what directory it is ?

Thanks, regards Wim.