Announcement from VMWare Mac Beta

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joem, Nov 3, 2006.

1. joem

joem Forum Maven

2. Cereal

Cereal Junior Member

Just read the article prior to the visit to the Parallels forum. Interesting days ahead...

3. kshusker

kshusker Member

Here's the actual list of features from the email:

Fusion is the codename for a new VMware desktop product for Mac that will enable Intel-based Macs to run x86 operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, NetWare and Solaris, in virtual machines at the same time as Mac OS X. It is built on VMware's robust and advanced desktop virtualization platform that is used by over four million users today."

Fusion boasts the following features and benefits:

* Ability to create and run a wide variety of x86 operating systems on OS X without rebooting. You can easily create virtual machines and run multiple operating systems simultaneously on Mac OS X. In addition, you can download and run any of the 300 virtual appliances available on VMware's Technology Network.

* Easily share files between OS X and guest operating system. You can simply drag and drop files between OS X and virtual machines to easily share files between the two environments.

* Access physical devices from the virtual machine. You can access physical devices such as CD ROM drives, video cameras, iPods, printers and high-speed disks from the virtual machine.

* Leverage Virtual SMP capabilities to gain additional performance improvement. You can assign more than a single CPU (on supported hardware with Intel Core Duo CPU) to gain additional performance for CPU-intensive workloads.

* Consolidate onto your Mac: If you need a PC to run specific applications that are not supported on your Mac, you can consolidate onto your Mac by running the PC environment in a virtual machine. In addition to space savings, consolidating onto your Mac reduces hardware, power and cooling costs.

* Safely evaluate software in isolated virtual machines: You can evaluate non-OS X applications safely on your Mac by running them in an isolated virtual machine. If the application crashes or corrupts the system, your Mac is not affected.

* Run over 300 virtual appliances: You can download any of the over 300 virtual appliances - preinstalled and preconfigured applications packaged with an operating system in a virtual machine - available from VMware's Technology Network. Setting up a wiki or blog server has never been easier.

* Fusion supports all Intel Mac hardware, including the new 64-bit Mac Pro and iMac.

* Your virtual machines can have multiple virtual processors, taking advantage of the Intel Core Duo chips in today's newest Intel Macs.

* Fusion supports high-speed USB 2.0 for a huge range of devices. Even devices that do not have drivers for Mac OS X will work in a virtual machine.

* Simply drag and drop files and folders in and out of your virtual machines to transfer your data.

4. bamsaleg

bamsaleg Member

I am wondering what solution will first bring a seamless import from VirtualPC images. This one will win in large account where deployment issues are so high.

5. kshusker

kshusker Member

Well, I've just spent a couplehours with VMware for the MacOS, and it is definitely slower then Parallels, both in booting and general operations. It also kernel panicked my MacBook Pro, which Parallels has never done.

On the plus side, it recognized my built-in iSight, which actually worked (!) in Windows with the Apple Boot Camp drivers in the virtual machine. It also supports CD burning, Bluetooth, and USB2 speeds.

Of special note is the drag and drop file sharing between the host and guest OS...this works amazingly well, you just drag a file from Mac desktop to the PC and it copies over and vice-versa. Parallels should shamelessly copy this feature :)

6. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

It is unfair to compare a GA product with a beta version. The VMware Fusion beta program is a private beta. If you have a copy, you either obtained it illegally or you are violating your confidentially agreement with VMware.

7. fye

fye Bit poster

As I've read in another forum it has debugging code running which you cannot disable. So it's no wonder that it's slower than Parallels now. We'll see what will happen in the future, but I doubt it will change that much for at least XP.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

"It also supports CD burning, Bluetooth, and USB2 speeds."

DAMN, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!!! I assume that you mean burning Windows CDs.

I surely hope that Parallels is reading this.

Pretty soon Macs can run Windows better than PCs can, thanks to this great technology. :)

9. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

At last check, VMWare also had no interest in supporting Intel VT-X on 32-bit CPUs. While this is the case, Parallels will likely continue to trump whatever they release on the mac platform.

BTW: That being said - Parallels guys - take a look at Fusion's Mac UI. If Desktop continues to use the crazy Qt ugliness, you guys have an uphill battle - pay one of the prominent mac UI guys like Jasper Hauser to re-do your UI for you, and I expect you'll get even more sales than you do right now.

10. gary

gary Member

It seems VMWare spent a lot of time looking at OS X app design and Virtual PC. Many things can be learned from the VPC interface. For instance, when you close a VM, the window closes and resumes in the background.

11. DrFix

DrFix Junior Member

I always preferred the VPC interface over VMware. There is something to be said about its clean approach. But you could certainly mix and match a lot more with the later product when you got down to it. Still, Parallels is working very well for what it does for me and for that I'm VERY grateful.

12. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

VMWare, however, used to support only a limited range of guest operating systems (mainly Windows and Linuxes), OS/2 and other OSes don't run under VMware.

13. dailo

dailo Member

Yeah I personally hope that Parallels is heading for the same direction as VMware, because I think Parallels is a good piece of software and the parallels team does really care about the community, but I see many ppl leaving parallels to use VMware. Of course we shouldn't expect Parallels to be on the same page as I bet VMware will probalby cost 3x more than what parallels does today.

VMware has deep pockets so it's not suprising to see that they can implement all these fine features, but I bet Parallels is working hard to doing the same as well. After using VMfusion there are many things nice about it, but it's still not as fast as Parallels yet with all the debugging code running in the background. As a Final Prouduct it will be no doubt be a better product thatn what Parallels currently is, but I know that Parallels is probably working very hard to bring the Parallels community all the features they have been asking for. Hopefully VMware won't take away too many Parallels customers.