Using an NTFS hard drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ddurkee, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ddurkee

ddurkee Bit poster

I'd like to be able to share a hard drive between Windows running under Boot Camp and Windows running under Parallels. I don't need to be able to boot from it either way, I'd just like to be able to share the storage space. I'd like it to be fast, so a USB external isn't my first choice.

David

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Boot Camp will not be able to share the Parallel virtual NTFS HD, but Parallel will be able to share the Boot Camp NTFS partition & the OSX side.

For Parallel to share add as a shared folders in the Parallels console.

ajm

3. luca

luca Member

I have an external USB drive which contains a Mac OS X partition and a NTFS partition (formatted as such from Bootcamp). I can access the NTFS (read and write) from Parallels VM running XP. NTFS partition on USB drive can be accessed from bootcamp too. It is your solution.

Also, from Parallels-XP using Shared Folders, I can see the internal Bootcamp partition. I can read only files from Bootcamp partition. So I can copy from Bootcamp to Parallels but I cannot write from Parallels to Bootcamp. Also Parallels VM is invisible from Bootcamp.

Luca

4. ddurkee

ddurkee Bit poster

Not ideal solutions

The shared folder approach isn't ideal because the Mac OS can only read the Boot Camp volume, not write to it, so the same is true of Parallels. I also question whether you would get ideal performance that way. The external USB hard disk approach is also not ideal because Parallels only supports USB 1.1, also not giving the kind of performance I am looking for.

David

5. luca

luca Member

I see no problem with USB external drive speed. In fact it is more like USB 2 speed even when claiming USB 1.

Luca