USB Printing problem solved! (Generic solution?)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgebruiker, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

2. bluevibe

bluevibe Bit poster

Found solution

Nothing here helped me, but I have found a solution and I thought I'd share it in case others have the same problems.

It's quite easy actually, and these are the steps:
    1. Install Windows 2000
    2. Install printer driver

That's it :) My USB printer works perfectly.

However, in XP was able to set up this printer as network printer and by that print from os x,
    using xp as "printer server", but in windows 2000 I am yet to achieve this, getting errors like
    Xp_logon_something failed or Samba connection failed etc.

I do find it pretty weird that USB printing works in old Win 2000 and not XP though.

3. DaveB

DaveB Member

Mr SA-
    Thanks for your post. Worked with Epson R2400.

Until Parallels provides their solution this should be a Stickie in capital letters on the front page of the forum.

Dave B

4. rphoto

rphoto Bit poster

Thanks++ Mr SA ... got HP Designjet 30 working from Qimage.

Just a note about the HP ... lpinfo -v didnt show up the required info for uri (just said direct usb then blank). Got the required uri info from the system profiler/printer section.

Thanks again

5. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

My printer works with Bonjour and the _native_ driver

I have an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, a Lexmark Optra E310 printer connected via USB, and use Parallels build 1970 with Shared networking to run Win XP Prof. SP2, localized (Polish) version.

My printer generally seems to work via Bonjour when I use the native (printer-specific) driver, that is suggested by the Bonjour wizard. My printer supports both Postscript and non-Postscript modes, and thus has two drivers: labeled PS and MS.

First I tried the PS one. It worked, but after a reboot it stopped working - documents would stack up on the Mac OS X print queue and wait indefinitely. After OS X shut down and reboot the queued documents got printed. I have replaced the driver with the "MS" one and it seems to work so far.

I have some suggestions to the Parallels team about documenting the printer access:

1. The help page for setting up a printer via Bonjour is missing a point about enabling printer sharing in OS X. For long time Mac users it may be obvious, but some Parallels users are new to the Mac :) .

2. I would like a clear message which networking option is the most recommended one: "Shared networking" or "Bridged Ethernet"?

3. This forum is very helpful, but I only found it by accident. Is it hidden on purpose or is it just me that cannot find the link to the forum from Parallels homepage?

I am getting the feeling that maybe I gave up on the "Bridged Ethernet"
    networking option too quickly. I had difficulties setting it up, but I'll definitely try the new OS setup wizard and see if it can set up "Bridged Ethernet" for me. Then I can copy the network settings to the previous VM.

6. peepsula

peepsula Bit poster

I can't setup the pass through as the info from the sys profile is
    gaboon://192.168.1.102:hp color LaserJet 3500/1:0.30.6e.c7.7c.df

and the terminal output for direct usb is blank

what should I be using for my protocol on the mac side?

I am trying to make a HP Color laser 3500N work with my MacPro Parallel-XP VM

7. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Your sys profile info is for a network printer not a USB printer. In the nicest possible way, the info in this thread was not intended for your situation if you have your printer network connected.

If you do have your printer network connected, then you should be able to load up normal HP drivers and get it running using either Bridged or Shared networking.

8. jveatch

jveatch Bit poster

No printer response to test print

Since I have had the same problem as others in being unable to print out of Parallels, I excitedly downloaded Bonjour only to find printer wouldn't print a test page. I've tried it with an HP Officejet 6110 and an HP Photosmart C3180. In both cases, I can watch the printer window on the iMac side say "GenericClass: waiting for device" and then the job stops. Since the same thing happens to two different printers, does anyone know what I should look for.

My system is a new iMac, 20" with Parallels (1970) and Windows XP w/SP2.

9. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

There are two printing setups described in this thread. Try this one:

http://forums.parallels.com/post24774-66.html

10. jveatch

jveatch Bit poster

Problem solved ... again

While waiting for some sage advice from someone to solve my problem, I discovered that by checking the little blue USB icon at the bottom right corner of the Parallels/Windows screen, and making sure that the printer I was sending to was NOT checked, everything suddenly worked via the Bonjour system. Man, I'm not touching ANYTHING now or it might quit! :) http://forum.parallels.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

11. frankieg

frankieg Bit poster

USB Printing

I've got a mac mini utilizing an HP all-in-one printer via Parallels working just fine. Installed the HP software on the Parallels XP side as normal. However, the trick was to ensure that the printer is turned off prior to starting Parallels. Once my guest OS is up and running, I turn on the printer. Parallels sees the USB device and grabs it. After that, everything works fine, printing and using the scanner. If the printer is turned on prior to starting Parallels, the Mac sees the printer and holds the USB connection.

12. scphillipp

scphillipp Bit poster

Not able to see my printers in Bonjour

I tried the Bonjour trick, but I am unable to see any printers when running it. I have turned on sharing of both my printers, I have turned off any and all firewalls (including the windows firewall) but for the life of me - no printers show up in bonjour. What settings should I have the internet connection on in parallels? I have tried changing it. I have a second network port on my MacPro which I thought about plugging into the router, and setting it exclusively for windows - anyone tried this?

13. scphillipp

scphillipp Bit poster

Update: Something is wrong with my printers sharing completely. I cant see my shared printers from my laptop either. I just checked my sharing folder under System Prefs and printer sharing is checked but I can NOT uncheck it - its locked - I tried re-authenticating - also the box next to printer sharing under firewall is not checked, and I am unable to check it - so I turned off the firewall altogether. Something is screwed up with my sharing settings and it has me locked out. I tried creating a new account and logging into it, but the problem followed it. Anyone know how to reset my printing sharing altogether? (I also tried repairing prefs)

14. scphillipp

scphillipp Bit poster

Update (again) OK got my network printer sharing workin again using a wonderful program called "Printer setup repair" - it replaced my CUPS file, now my laptop see's my printers. Yeaaa. But alas, bonjour still won't see any printers. (SIGH) Now back to the original problem.

15. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

What kind of networking have you set up in Parallels?

16. scphillipp

scphillipp Bit poster

It is currently set on : Bridged Ethernet; en1 Ethernet Adapter

17. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

It might be worth trying "shared networking" in your VM rather than "bridged networking." Also, are you running version 1970?

18. jChristopher

jChristopher Member

3036 breaks USB printing to HP DeskJet 1120c?

Hi all. I just upgraded to 3036, and am finding that USB printing isn't working any more to my HP DeskJet 1120c. But printing is fine to my Epson Stylus Photo RX500... So it isn't a printer or USB problem, per se. Bonjour printing to the HP (via CUPS) isn't a tenable solution, either, as it always seems to hang, or else print gibberish.

I've tried uninstalling & re-installing the printer, and the drivers...but whenever I try to print, I immediately get an error "This document failed to print"... It seems as though the Port isn't set correctly? It's listed as printing through USB001 / Virtual port... (The Epson works fine through USB002!?)

Any ideas?

(Also, count me as one of those that can't boot from the Boot Camp partition... assumedly due to the FAT32 format, as mentioned as being buggy in the main thread...)

Thanks,
    -Chris

19. jChristopher

jChristopher Member

confirming USB printing problem

Just a quick post to confirm that the 3036 build doesn't handle the USB ports quite the same as the 1970 release... As noted above, my Epson RX500 works fine in both builds, but my HP DeskJet 1120C doesn't work in 3036. (I downgraded to 1970, and it works again.)

The only things I can think to offer to help diagnose the problem are:
    - the Epson consistently maps to port USB002, and shows up as "USB2.0 MFP" in the Devices->USB menu.
    - the HP consistently maps to port USB001, and shows up as "Composite 047e:1001" in the Devices->USB menu.

Hope that helps?

20. ducktrevor

ducktrevor Bit poster

Help Help Good God Help

I have tried all I can think of???

I have Bonjour installed and it can find other printer's on other machines on our network but can't find the one contected to the USB port of the machine I am trying to set it up on? I am at the end of my rope here. Any ideas?

Print Sharing is set to on
    Firewalls are turned off

Any Help would save the rest of my hair.

Trevor