simulate slow computers

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by em_te, Oct 27, 2006.

1. em_te

em_te Bit poster

I use a Mac running on Intel Core 2 Duo and it is bloody fast even with the acceleration flag set to disabled. When I use this set up I am not able to simulate the experience of the average user's computer (800Mhz - 2GHz) because all my scripts run so bloody fast. But if I switch off Intel's VT-x support, the virtualization is bloody slow, like a 133 Mhz computer. I would like to suggest some sort of speed control for me to simulate different speeds of the computer.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Try allocating less memory to the VM.

3. em_te

em_te Bit poster

Hi. I tried reducing the amount of RAM from 256MB to 64 to32 and even 16MB and also tried that in combination with switching between the virtual swap page thingy and the Mac OS X managed swap page thingy (forgot what it's called), but it doesn't seem to achieve what I am looking for. By reducing the RAM, I can make Windows and the various applications take longer to start up by a noticable delay, but once the program has started up and the VM is executing a particular program loop, everything seems very fast again. To be precise, I am testing the perceived performance of a high CPU computation algorithm and I know for a fact that it runs slow on all the Pentium 4 PCs in the office, but seems to run bloody fast on the Intel Core Duo even under virtualization. Is there any other setting I could try? Thanks.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Try a CPU intensive process or two in Windows while you are testing. Write a variable CPU-eater.

5. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

Maybe there is a way in OS X to assign a limited percentage of CPU time to a process? Then you could just slow down Parallels. Hey, maybe that would be a way to run some old games that were too fast on modern CPUs?