Poor performance on C2D MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by physh, Nov 5, 2006.

1. physh

physh Bit poster

Hi everyone,

My MacBook Pro got exchanged by Apple. Previously I had a 1.83/2GB, now I have a C2D 2.16/2GB.

I migrated all the settings from a machine to another and uninstalled then reinstalled Parallels 1970. The CPU was stuck @ 100% so I reinstalled Windows XP from scratch.

Now I'm still stuck @ 100%, the VM is not fluid at all despite 512MB. Before I changed my notebook, it was running smoothly.

Is there any issue with Core2Duo or build 1970?

EDIT: After an hour of troubleshooting, I found that disabling Intel VT-x technology makes the CPU load drop and the VM go really faster, so, yes there's obviously an issue... I still can't get the performance level I had on the 1.83 Core Duo.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  2. palter

palter Hunter

I have a 2.33GHz/3GB Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, migrated all my VM's from my previous 2.0GHz/2GB MacBook Pro, have VT-X enabled, and all my VM's (XP, 98, Vista, FC6) run fine. So, there must be something else afoot.

3. physh

physh Bit poster

Can you tell me if your fans are running and if they're loud?
    Did you reinstalled the system and used the migration wizard or did you started from scratch?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  4. Dogfish Jones

Dogfish Jones Junior Member

I went from a CD 2.16 MBP, 1 Gig RAM, 120 Gig HD to a C2D 2.33 MBP, 2 Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD and have noticed significantly faster performance and both OS's running very smoothly. Overall, I've also found the C2D MBP runs much cooler than the CD MBP, even with Parallels and XP running.

Parallels does keep the processor running consistently around 15-20%. But that doesn't seem to be causing any harm.

I just used the setup assitant to transfer everything over, and then reinstaled the 1970 update directly over the copied Parallels installation. No problems.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Are you running the latest Parallels version? If not, and he rest of the machine seems OK, upgrade Parallels and see what happens.

6. physh

physh Bit poster

I am running the lastest version (1970). I figured out that the machine has strange behaviours sometimes... Anyway, it has to be exchanged because I live in France and received a UK machine.

7. timon

timon Member

What windows processes are running the most?

I've got this problem with one of our new iMac C2D systems. I was finding that McAfee and Windows updates were hogging the VM.

I just tried switching the Disk cache to QS X rather than the VM and all of the updates completed quickly.

I've not switched the cache back to the VM yet. We're going to run some tests first.

BTW, My system is just a CD running 1922 and it runs very well. I think there is something going on from around 1940ish on or maybe sooner. Something about the C2D I suppect.

8. peterggg

peterggg Bit poster

Poor performance

I tried Parallels on a friend's CD and it worked great (I did the install). I just installed it on my C2D machine and it's running like it's a 1985 PC. I definitely think there's something wrong.

Peter

9. physh

physh Bit poster

A simple windows update download takes 100%... I see that many people have the problem with C2D.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  10. timon

timon Member

The performance is getting real bad. Almost as bad as VPC on a iMac G5.

Paging Andrew @ Parallels, can you shed some light on the subject?

This is becoming a show stopper at work. We did our testing with my CD iMac never expecting the C2D would be so bad. What happen? How did this version get to production with this kind of performance issues?

Please Andrew @ Parallels give us some insight on this.

11. physh

physh Bit poster

Andrew @ Parallels, please help us...

12. bamsaleg

bamsaleg Member

The new MBP are not the first machine with a Core 2 Duo.

If this issue was not reported on the new iMac product line, then it might not be CPU related but something else...

So I guess someone from Parallels is now at an applestore near you to buy a new MBP and check out...

13. physh

physh Bit poster

It helps but the performance is still very low.

14. Dogfish Jones

Dogfish Jones Junior Member

And yet there are those who have C2D MBPs without any problems with 1970, in fact noticing improved performance. So perhaps the problem resides elsewhere...

15. timon

timon Member

In our case we're running with a MS domain controller. I guess it could be something with domains. I've also had the whole computer lockup when parallels was left running overnight. Leave parallels shutdown and no lockups.

I'm about ready to reload the entire Mac and Parallels but I'm not banking on that fixing any problem.

16. physh

physh Bit poster

My XP vm is not on a domain. Got my MBP exchanged, same problem.