A USB Solution

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by JeremyWood, Sep 6, 2006.

1. JeremyWood

JeremyWood Bit poster

I have been trying for some time to get a USB device working under Parallels, without success. The device in question is a HID device, and Parallels is never able to get control of it. Anyway, I found one way to make it work.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/homepage.spml

This device is a USB server, which allows you to use many (not all) USB devices over ethernet. Anyways, it works with Parallels. And it works pretty well. So far, the devices that I have tried work. However, Keyspan says that it doesn't work with things like webcams, etc.

Anyway, it might be worth looking at. It is also a way to share your USB devices with multiple machines, or between the Mac and Windows portion of your single machine. Although, only one computer can control any one device at a time.

2. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Nice...

Very nice - with or without parallels...thanks for the info.

3. euclidw@mac.com

euclidw@mac.com Junior Member

Help Please

Can you guys help me out. I have the Keyspan USB server & loaded the latest firmware etc. I can get everything set-up under OSX so I can see my USB device in Parallels, but when I select it, I get the same old problem. So I then tried to setup the server under XP. I'm able to install the Keyspan software, but it doesn't seem to see the server? Do I need to change my networking settings in Parallels? I currently have bridged ethernet airport (this is the only way I've been able to print to my network printer (using bonjour) & get online using my airport network. What did you do to get XP to recognize the Keyspan Server & then be able to use the USB device? Please help

4. euclidw@mac.com

...any thoughts?

5. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

If you want to get this working you must not install the drivers for this in Mac.

Install the drivers for the keyspan only in XP. Then use the software from within XP to connect the USB devices.

The reason this works is that is completely bypasses the Mac, so the Mac could not grab the devices.

6. euclidw@mac.com

Thanks. I'll try this now by uninstalling in osx!

7. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

Thanks for the info, it may be a solution for the time being, but I hope Parallels will solve the USB problem without the need for extra hardware.

8. CTP

CTP Bit poster

Express 34 slot

Has anyone tried using usb devices on an express 34 usb card on their macbook pro? does parallels recognize it the same way? Or do you think there is apossibility someting may work differently if you are using the devices through a express card?

9. euclidw@mac.com

OK, so I've uninstalled, but the keyspan server utility doesn't see the server. Any suggestions? Do I need to change the networking option in parallels?:confused:

10. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

You will probably need bridged networking to make it work.

I am not sure, as I don't (yet) own one of these servers.