How To Install Parallel Desktop!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Adobe830, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

Hi guys, i do not know much about computers, but i have a problem that needs to be resolved fast. I just purchased parallels desktop for mac, and i can not install it. The folder has 5 items, which are 3 how-to guides, an icon that says "uninstall", and a file entitled "Parallels-Desktop.pkg". The how-to install guide says for me to double click the last file, but when i do, it says it is on a locked volume, and tells me to choose another destination. I have done so much to get the answer but nothing worked yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Drag the package onto your desktop!

ajm

3. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

I tried dragging it onto my desktop and other folders but this message came up each time..."An error occured while attempting to expand 'parralels-desktops.pkg'. A folder was specified when a file was required". I really don't know what to do here, but thanks for the reply.

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

5. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

thanks for the reply,, but that doesn't help either, that is the same version I have, I just bought mine yesterday.

6. palter

palter Hunter

Do Get Info on the .pkg file. Under the section "Open with...", what application does it say it should use?

7. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

It opens with Stuffit Expander, and i don't think there is anything else on my computer that can open it.

8. virek

virek Member

Adobe830,

Even if its the same version try downloading it anyway. Like unused_user_name said yours could be corrupted.

Doubleclick the .pkg and it'll install.

9. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply, but I have allready downloaded three different packages, and i still have the same problem. I found a folder called Archive which I found the Parrallels icon. I tried clicking that and a window popped up and said that it could not find one of its drivers. Thanks guys for all of the replys.

10. palter

palter Hunter

Something, probably StuffIt Expander, messed up the file associations on your computer. A .pkg file should open with Installer, not StuffIt Expander.

You can change the association in the Get Info window. I suggest you check the box to change it for all files of that type to avoid this problem in the future.

11. Adobe830

Adobe830 Bit poster

That Was It! It couldn't open with stuffit expander, and for some reason Installer was deleted from my computer, I got it back though. Thanks a lot! If anybody else has this problem just read Palter's post. Thanks everybody!