Windows XP upgrade

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by loosegroove, Apr 6, 2006.

1. loosegroove

loosegroove Junior Member

Is it possible to install Windows XP using an upgrade CD? I have a prior version of Windows in order to qualify for the upgrade but when I tried to switch out the CDs to comply with the request, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Please advise.

Bronson

2. djyod

djyod Bit poster

windows upgrade?

I too would like to get some info on this..........how do you install windows xp using an upgrade cd. What do you do when it asks for the previous version cd?

Anyone get this to work?

Thanks......

3. ctor

ctor Bit poster

Worked for me...

It was rather a pain but I did get it to work, but I must confess that the solution remains sort of mysterious...

I have a Windows XP Upgrade CD and a Windows 2000 CD that's a Dell OEM. I'm running on a 20" iMac.

I first loaded the XP CD and set the CD/DVD-ROM options in the Parallels Configuration Editor to use a real CD/DVD-ROM drive with the path /dev/rdisk1 on IDE 0:1. I then began virtualization with the boot options set to read from the CD/DVD first.

When the XP installation asked me to verify that I had a previous Windows version, I clicked Devices -> CD/DVD-ROM 1 -> Disconnect. I then ejected the Windows XP cd and inserted the Windows 2000 CD. I clicked Devices -> CD/DVD-ROM 1 -> /dev/rdisk1s0 (or something to that effect) and hit Enter on the Windows XP install to detect the updated CD.

It didn't work.

So I ejected the CD and tried it again and for whatever reason it detected it, asking for the original XP CD again. I don't know why it didn't work the first time; very mysterious. At any rate I disconnected the CD/DVD-ROM again, ejected the Windows 2000 CD and replaced it with the Windows XP CD.

Well, it refused to detect the Windows XP CD, no matter how many times I disconnected, ejected, inserted, connected, ad infinitum. So I broke down and made an ISO of the XP CD with Disk Tools, then clicked Connect Image under the CD/DVD-ROM 1 menu item under Devices. The installation continued and succeeded.

I hope this helps :)

4. mrmkirsch

mrmkirsch Bit poster

Using Windows XP Upgrade

I, too, had an old WinXP Upgrade CD. This is the original version of XP upgrade (not SP1 or SP2).

I wasn't able to get the install process going at all using the actual CD. I had to make a disk image out of it.

When, during installation, the installer asked for a previous version of Windows, I went and found my Windows ME Upgrade disc, made an image of it, unmounted the XP image and mounted the ME image, hit enter, and the installation continued.

When XP asked for the XP CD to be reinserted I just unmounted the ME image and remounted the XP image and the installation continued.

Aside from having to make the images of the CDs, the entire installation took about 20 minutes. That's the fastest installation I've ever encounterd with XP.

Now that XP is installed and running, the boot time is about 15 seconds, which is just amazing!

5. djyod

djyod Bit poster

This method worked well for me too........Windows seems to be running very fast on my Intel Mac mini 1.6 w/ 2 gigs ram, and so far no problems, except the VT-X issue.:D

6. fellow

fellow Junior Member

XP upgrade with oem disks and imaging

I also have a Dell OEM Win2000 install cd as well as a Sony Win98 cd. Can someone please describe the process in more detail. I do have toast, but it makes .toast images (which mount). Disk Utility makes .dmg and .cdr images, but neither are being recognized by parallels.

When I have disconnected the para-cd and installed the old cds and reconnected, the XP HOME UPGRADE will not recognize them.

Thank you!

7. chartb

chartb Member

I did an initial install of XP from an ISO (from MSDN, actually). I was then able to stick a physical CD of the SP2 upgrade into the Macbook Pro superdrive, and connected that to the running VM in Parallels. (Devices->CDROM->Default, ... -> Connect)

The first time nothing happened, but the second time I tried the Connect ( a few seconds after the first time) the AutoRun popped up in XP and SP2 installed off the physical CD with no problems. Perhaps the physical Superdrive needs time to identify the disk and such before it can be attached to the VM?

I must admit that I was rather suprised that it worked! So, its at least possible.

Using Beta3 on a Macbook Pro.

8. fellow

fellow Junior Member

I used Disk Utility to create .cdr images of both disks, renamed them both to .iso, and connected/disconnected appropriately. No problems using the upgrade and old version cd images.

Cheers,

fellow

9. Traj

Traj Member

I first installed Windows 98 and then used the upgrade for XP. All went very well, just as it would on a PC.

10. Joel

Joel Bit poster

Thanks to everyone's help here, I too got XP installed today, using an OEM Win98 disc and an XP upgrade disc. I did like "fellow" did, making ISO's of both in Disk Utility.