How to share files (or move files) with LINUX guest and Windows primary

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by tharrison, Oct 21, 2006.

1. tharrison

tharrison Bit poster

The title says it.

How do I move files back and forth between my Win XP primary and LINUX guest. I am running Fedora 5 (soon to be 6). I would love to have the capability of Parallel Tools. I am new to Parallels and would like to make my Eclipse development reside conveniently on one machine.

Thanks.

Terry Harrison
    tharrison@psu.edu

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Use regular shared folders via Samba.

3. tharrison

tharrison Bit poster

Almost does the trick

Thanks for the quick reply. And yes, that is a very workable solution at my house where I have a network that is loosely administrated. However, I work at a university and the firewall is heavily layered with access rules and permissions. Rather than having to work through that I was hoping for a clean and quick solution between my Windows primary and Linux guest.

4. macintologist

macintologist Bit poster

Choose host-only networking. Obtain the IP address for both the Mac and the VM. Then enable Windows sharing on your Mac. Then in Linux consult with the documentation on how to connect to a samba share. Shouldn't be too hard if you take the time to do a google search.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

It may be a little difficult to setup windows sharing on your Mac, so just do ordinary Windows sharing via My Computer. Right click on the C: drive, select sharing, and enable. Then search for servers via Samba in Fedora, and connect.

A much nicer, more stable, more secure solution, would be to reverse what you are doing.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Lotsa Mac related replies to someone who clearly stated Win XP Primary and Linux guest. Where was the Mac in the original question?

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Sarcasm. No Mac involved.

Instead of running Linux in Widows, run Windows in Linux. Much better idea.

8. tharrison

tharrison Bit poster

We have lost the bubble

I was the original poster on this thread. I clearly stated that I have a Windows primary and a Linux guest. I interpreted Mac in its first use to be the MAC address of my ethernet card. No Apple Macs are involved or intended in any of this.

Also, the suggestion of Windows under Linux may be the preferred solution for the poster but not for me in this instance.

I continue to look for a solution that does not involve moving data through the ethernet port since it will get trapped by our firewall.

Thanks for responses on this topic.

Best,

Terry Harrison

9. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Do you have access to port 80? If so, you could set up a webserver in the guest and access it from the host. Or ftp too.

10. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Is it the network that is locked down, or the Windows primary OS? If the network is locked down, then host-only networking might sort you out.

Your Linux kernel needs to have the CIFS (not SAMBA) module compiled. I presume FC5 has this (I'm a roll-your-own gentoo user).

The IP addresses are controlled by Parallels in Host-only mode, so are likely to be:

10.37.129.1/255.255.255.0 gets bagged by Parallels to run the DHCP service
    10.37.129.2/255.255.255.0 for the Windows host (automatically set)
    10.37.129.3 for the Linux guest (acquired through dhcp)

CIFS/Samba is the approved way of getting this to work.