Fedora Core 6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thenewbf, Oct 25, 2006.

1. palter

palter Hunter

I also end up in the login prompt rather than X when booting an FC6 that was upgraded from FC5. I presume this is simply a bug in FC6 and has nothing to do with Parallels.

You can get a graphic login by doing the following: Login as root and execute the command line

gdm-stop; logout

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This installed and ran fine. Only difficulty was the download - it stopped a couple times and needed to be restarted.

3. macguy

macguy Member

I have the same problem. FC6 boots and the GUI screens show up during the boot process, but then after booting I get dropped out of the gui to the login prompt. I tried "startx" but that didn't work. Help...

4. philjs

philjs Bit poster

Oh yes, I hadn't spotted the i815 info until you pointed it out. So why does the configuration editor allow > 512MB to be allocated to a VM?

Phil

5. philjs

philjs Bit poster

I had the same issue just now upon starting my FC6 VM.

Try Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch to the X server, it worked for me.

Phil

6. bill_mcgonigle

bill_mcgonigle Bit poster

Yeah, same problem here. It appears to resume then the screen never updates.

7. palter

palter Hunter

Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not alone with this one. Did you update from FC5 or is yours a fresh install?

I've tried to ping the VM and ssh into it as well when it's in this state and it doesn't respond so the problem isn't just the screen not updating.

8. bill_mcgonigle

This one is a fresh install, yum updated to current. I thought it was supposed to install a xen environment as a fresh FC6 install, but it doesn't appear to be running the -xen kernel, so I guess not.

OK, good to know. Some other notes: I found when setting the sound card device, in the GNOME GUI it's important to select the hardware device rather than the ALSA or OSS drivers for smooth playback. Works fine that way.

Running childsplay causes the screen to go garbled - I reported this.

The default screen size was way too big - I needed to `init 3` and run system-config-display and specify the screen as a 1024x768 LCD panel.

Interactive tasks appear to be speedy, but the system is really slow for other things. Installation of a base system took several hours here, on a 2.16GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, with RAM available. This I wouldn't expect from a virtualized environment.

The Hibernate option from ShutDown works quite well. First time I've tried it under Linux. It might even be faster than Parallels suspend.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

What a bloody pita..

i also have the damn screwed up screen after instal... :( (was having the kernel panic and crash, but then it was a simple 512mb adjustment to get that taken care of)

10. stephdau

stephdau Bit poster

re: download: That might have been due to one of the drive failing on our server's RAID... Or rather due to us fixing the box at that exact time. :)

11. bill_mcgonigle

Just to be clear, FC6 isn't on the supported list yet while FC5 is. Fedora releases often take a couple months to shake out even on real hardware.

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Completely understood..

Still doesnt make it any less irritating. Esp when others have been able to get it to work semi properly...

;)

13. palter

palter Hunter

The problem with X windows not starting on boot is not specific to Parallels. There are complaints about it in the Fedora forums. When it happens, type Alt+F7 (Alt+Fn+F7 on MacBook or MacBook Pro) and you'll get the login screen.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

It starts.. as evidence of the sideways smashed screen that you cant see properly. Think someone else reported the same thing on here.

Ill poke around a bit more.. I am sure there is a way to get it sorted out properly.. hell other people have done it. Just trying to emulate what the "basic fc6 image" guy posted up.

Doesnt seem to work for me (i am assuming he didnt document a step or two)

15. stephdau

stephdau Bit poster

16. palter

palter Hunter

For the record, this was a bug in FC6 that's been fixed by recent updates.

17. onejaguar

onejaguar Bit poster

Confirmed, when I ran:

# yum update

the problem went away.

18. dkoes

dkoes Bit poster

Workaround for memory bug

Using Fedora Core 6 I've managed to workaround the 512MB only bug by passing "agp=off" as a kernel argument. I've successfully booted multiple times with 1024MB and 1500MB of memory.

For those you don't know how to pass a kernel argument.. right as the virtual machine is starting up there's a countdown screen, press the return key before boot continues. Hit 'a' to append an argument and just add " agp=off" to the commandline. If that works, you can make the change permanent by editting /boot/grub/menu.lst as root.

Hope this helps (it certainly helped me).

-Dave