Upgrade (easy) from Dapper to Edgy?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nickcollision, Oct 27, 2006.

1. nickcollision

nickcollision Junior Member

Have tried to do an easy update of my Ubuntu install using the terminal as suggested on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades . Went to terminal and entered:

gksu "upgrade-manager -c"

which allowed the upgrade manager to see the Edgy update, however then it gave the error message:

michael@michael-ubuntu:~$ gksu "update-manager -c"
    warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
    michael@michael-ubuntu:~$ gksu "update-manager -c"
    /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:17: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
    warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
    extracting '/tmp/tmpGq8qt0/edgy.tar.gz'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 641, in on_button_dist_upgrade_clicked
    fetcher.run()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManager/DistUpgradeFetcher.py", line 211, in run
    if not self.extractDistUpgrader():
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/UpdateManager/DistUpgradeFetcher.py", line 136, in extractDistUpgrader
    tar = tarfile.open(self.tmpdir+"/"+os.path.basename(self.uri),"r")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/tarfile.py", line 921, in open
    return func(name, "r", fileobj)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/tarfile.py", line 964, in gzopen
    fileobj = file(name, mode + "b")
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmpGq8qt0/edgy.tar.gz'

Any idea what to do to make this work without having to burn a CD? I have no clue about what to do with Ubuntu as I am a newbie to it!

-nickcollision

2. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

The Ubuntu forums are full of tales of woe about upgrading Dapper -> Edgy, even made ./Slashdot today! I just took the plunge and did a fresh install of Edgy in a Parallels VM on my MacBook, went great -- see my notes on http://www.xs4all.nl/~hajk . I suggest you also do a fresh install of Edgy, will most likely save you time and aggravation.

3. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Just grab my latest image.
    Many improvements anyways.

4. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

I didn't have any problems using this technique to upgrade Dapper to Edgy, and I haven't run into any problems since that I know to be caused by upgrading rather than a fresh install.

Presumably there's some way to upgrade via the live CD, but I didn't find it upon cursory inspection (my first instinct, probably because I used Red Hat/Fedora for so many years, was to use the CD to upgrade).

One suggestion: make sure you are up-to-date with all Dapper updates first, then try again. It's possible that you need an update to Dapper's update manager itself before you can upgrade.

5. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

Does your image include a fix for the 588MB memory ceiling, and if so, what did you do to fix the problem?

6. nickcollision

nickcollision Junior Member

For what it is worth, my updates were up to date and still no easy upgrade using the method I outlined above. Ended up deleting the Dapper and installing the image referred to above -- worked flawlessly.