Activation key not recognised by build 1970

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rlougher, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rlougher

rlougher Bit poster

Hi,

I have a Core 2 Duo based Mac Book Pro for which I bought a retail box version of Parallels desktop (Apple Store). I only intend to use this for Fedora Core Linux (version 6).

At one point the installer reboots the machine. However, Parallels desktop hangs at the BIOS prompt, using 100% CPU.

Because of the sticky note at the top of the forum I have tried to download and upgrade to the latest version. However, when I try to enter the activation key that came with the retail box it says that the key is not valid for current version.

The retail box build is 1940. This seems (from the name) to be a UK version.

Rob.

2. steve_flack

steve_flack Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. I bought a UK retail boxed version and, although the code works with the version on the disc (1940) it isn't accepted by 1970.

Which sucks.:mad:

3. fishrain

fishrain Junior Member

I have the same problem.....upgrading from 1840 to 1862 was no problem....but with 1870 the key doesn't work anymore :-(

4. fishrain

fishrain Junior Member

certainly i mean Build 1970....

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

UK builds have its own registration keys.

Please install 1940 UK and then click on menu Help->Check for Updates. Download UK 1970 via autoupdate and install it.

6. steve_flack

steve_flack Bit poster

Why is there a special UK ghetto with activation keys that work nowhere else? If I'd have known this beforehand I wouldn't have bought a poxy boxed version.

Nowhere on the box does it say 'special UK crippled version'.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

steve_flack,

UK 1970 was available via Check for Update at the same time as US 1970. The versions are absolutely identical - but UK version has different registration key.

Did you managed to download UK 1970 via Check for Update?

8. Group51

Group51 Bit poster

I clicked Check for Update and while the sheet dropped down nothing happened, nada. So I downloaded from the site and my serial is also not recognised. I ran Check for Update again and of course it now says it's up to date.

Tsk! I'll re-install and try again - I wouldn't mind if this was pointed out on the web site!

9. Group51

Group51 Bit poster

Just re-installed and this time Check for Update is working. So, that's better.

No reference to it being a UK version though...

10. fishrain

fishrain Junior Member

I'm a little bit confused concerning the build nr....i have an active licence for 1840, then i updated to 1862 having no problems....doing the auto update now there is 1970 to download....and my key isn't recognised....

I never had 1940 or other builds like 19...

So if I install 1940 (where may I get it???)...does my key work for this???? strange :confused:

11. eddyk

eddyk Member

activation key cannot be used

Same problem here: I bought from Apple Belgium my Parallels copy together with a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.
    Key was accepted for installation of build 1940.
    I installed the new 1970 version and the activation key is refused with the infamous message "The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!".

How could I guess my version is a UK one?

I will try a re-install and upgrade. Not really happy;

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  12. eddyk

eddyk Member

Using Uninstall from installation disk; installed again, entered activation key and checked for upgrades. After downloading buiid 1970 and performing the update, it works and the software is activated.
    A little weird, this activation process for UK versions!

13. steve_flack

steve_flack Bit poster

It did eventually work but the download seemed very slow. Slower than the downloads from the parallels website. The download site seems a bit up and down.

Still don't see why we get separate downloads and serial numbers. The fact it's not mentioned ANYWHERE until after you've installed the software (and so can't get a refund) is a bit naughty. Personally I would prefer the security of the herd and have the same downloads as everyone else - not some UK version that the plug can be pulled on at a whim.

Quite frankly it's not illegal but it's not very customer friendly. If the versions are identical why bother? It sounds a bit too much like that DVD region BS to me.

14. arnoud

arnoud Junior Member

I bought the boxed version today when I finally could, and since this turned out to be the UK version I had the same problems as described above.

There is one difference I have noticed in the two versions: the support address in the About box does not point to parallels. com but to avanquest.co.uk, being the UK (and probably European?) distributor for Parallels Desktop.

In the end I got it working (after some stress related grunts :) ) but I would have saved a lot of time if the back of the booklet which has the registration key also had a short note describing this feature...

In this day and age, a lot of people ignore the supplied media because it is almost always outdated by the time it leaves the CD plant, and go straight for the latest download available...

Maybe also put this caveat in the stickies part of this forum at least? But better, change the printed manual or add a little red insert into the retail box explaining?

15. august

august Bit poster

Hi,
    I bought my parallels license via a German online store. The provided activation key does not work with built 1970 which I installed for using the trail license.
    I updated from 1970 to 1980 but it still does not accept the key!
    --> Would it help to completely uninstall parallels and than install the 1980 built?
    Will the newly installed parallels accept my winxp.pvs and winxp.hdd files if I copy them back?

thanks,
    august

16. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

August,
    Local keys and English build aren’t compatible.

Please re-install your local Parallels build and update it following the instruction:

Run Parallels Desktop, then click on the Parallels Window, after that Parallels Menu will appear.
    Open "Help"->"Check for Updates…" menu option.

17. august

august Bit poster

Hi,
    I un-installed parallels by dragging the parallels folder to the trash. I restarted the computer. I re-installed from the file parallelsdesktop-1980-mac-de.dmg. There was only English to choose as language. I run the update (no update needed) I entered the activation key:
    "The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!"

It's getting annoying now. Never had so much trouble buying software!
    Any other options?

regards,
    august

18. mbaker

mbaker Bit poster

I have to agree with Steve. This is incredibly frustrating and there is ZERO documentation about this issue. I'm now using the latest beta version with a trial key and then I'll have to downgrade, reinstall from CD and do a UK update to build 1970.

Does it really have to be this complicated?! I don't understand the point of having a separate UK build in this day and age.

19. mbaker

mbaker Bit poster

So now my trial key has expired and I can't start the VM to uninstall Parallels Tools. What will happen if I just install an earlier version? Will it work?

20. JDub

JDub Member

Hi Andrew,

I've sent you an urgent email about this, yet didn't receive any acknowledgement...did it get to the right person?