Networking for OS/2 Warp 4 Question...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fscalc, May 6, 2006.

1. fscalc

fscalc Bit poster

Folks,

I was hoping that someone who has already successfully installed OS/2 on a VM could help me get a working installation. My problem centers around Ethernet networking and not being able to figure out what network adapter to choose.

Doing an Easy install and getting OS/2 up and running did not seem to work. On the VM tools, there appeared to be only mouse and sound drivers for OS/2, but no Ethernet adapter. Please, someone, though, correct me if I am wrong. Going the route of the 'Advanced Installation' (to start with an HPFS volume), I am currently on the "Choose the network adapter" dialog and do not have any idea of which to choose.

Any assistance would be most welcome. If there is an online resource for OS/2 installation I have missed, I would also appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. fscalc

fscalc Bit poster

Ahh. The answer was to install the VM Tools during the installation, and the the OS/2 Installer finds the NIC driver.

I knew I would figure out the solution as soon as I asked the question.

I apologize for wasting the forum space, but hope that someone else might profit from what I wrote.

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Thanks, seems we need to put into FAQ.

4. antblog701

antblog701 Junior Member

how do I connect to the net from OS/2

Hello,

Can someone guide me on how to get networking/internet working for OS/2 Warp 4?

I installed OS/2 Warp 4 successfully with Mouse Sync, Sound, Network driver installed (following page 53 of the booklet), but I still can't get the internet working. Can I have some help?

Thanks.

5. antblog701

antblog701 Junior Member

Sorry to bump this.

Can someone offer a help on networking in OS/2?

Thanks.

6. antblog701

antblog701 Junior Member

bump,

Can someone please offer a help on setting up network for OS/2 Warp 4? Thanks.

7. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

Your request is a bit unspecific. What exactly is the problem?

You need to load the device driver for the Realtek 8029 NIC. This is in file PCIND.OS2 (shown as "RTL8029 PCI Ethernet Adapter" in MPTS). Yoe need to install this adapter fro the paralles vmtools disk ( /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.fdd). And you need to have all other network stuff installed and loaded.

From my config.sys:

Code:
    DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\SOCKETSK.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFOS2.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFINETK.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\MPTN\BIN\VDOSTCP.VDD
    DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFNB.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBEUI.OS2
    DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\TCPBEUI.OS2
    DEVICE=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\RDRHELP.200
    IFS=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\IBMLAN /N
    DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIOS.OS2
    DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\PCIND.OS2

CALL=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE
    RUN=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGEX.EXE
    RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\AFNBINI.EXE
    RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\CNTRL.EXE
    CALL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C C:\MPTN\BIN\MPTSTART.CMD >NUL
    RUN=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NBTCP.EXE
    Not all of this is necessary for TCPIP only (there are also statements for SMB aka NETBIOS aka LAN MANAGER).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  8. antblog701

antblog701 Junior Member

Thanks vilmoskörte,
    I wish I could describe it better, but I really don't know how to describe. In short, I don't even know what drivers were missing. Sorry.

9. vilmoskörte

vilmoskörte Member

And did you look into your config.sys and compared drivers with my previous posting? Could you detect any missing drivers?

10. prioret

prioret Junior Member

Need Help Too

What booklet are you reffering too? I have the latest parallels beta for mac, and I cant find OS/2 anywhere in the docs.

Are there seperate mouse and sound drivers? I did not see them in the vmtools floppie image.

Thanks
    Tom

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The Build 3150 RC2 documents in the Applications->Parallels folder (user guide) includes a segment on Warp and EcomStation installations. These are PDF files.