No Network with Ubuntu Guest

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by super awesome, Apr 15, 2006.

1. super awesome

super awesome Junior Member

Just installed Ubuntu as the guest OS with a XP SP2 host and although my network still works fine in XP, I can't get a thing in Ubuntu, can't even ping out. Any tips??

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

RTFM - sorry for the insensitive prod. Ubuntu is not as well configured or initialized initially as some other Linuxs'. Look into the network setup and relate it to your network. It will work, but perhaps a Ubuntu list would be more help. My copy works just fine under Parallels, but with some effort.

3. super awesome

Dude, if you're going to help by saying RTFM, don't waste either my or your time. I have RTFM thank you very much and am not sure what else to do, which is why I registered here. Configuring a network in a shell environment is a little different than doing it as a standalone OS, isn't it you insensitive clod?

So instead of insulting someone who may fork over 50 bucks to Parallels if this works, maybe you could elaborate on the "effort" you took into getting your own copy to work. But that wouldn't allow you to toss out childish insults now would it?

4. barryw

barryw Member

I have Ubuntu running

I just installed this the other night and everything works as advertised. I also run Win XP Pro, fully patched. I remember during the installation, there were options as to what Ubuntu installed. I cannot remember them exactly - seems there were three. One I think was for a standard workstation, another one, and then a last one for a server installation.

What options did you include.

I don't know Ubuntu as well as Red Hat, Fedora or Suse, but it may be that you don't get networking with the plain workstation install? Just a wild guess.

Barryw

5. super awesome

Thanks for replying Barry. I think I picked the default install but networking is definitely a part of the system, comes with Firefox, network tools, the works.

I can set it up between DHCP and a static IP address but niether work. Basically, my problem is the same as XP if your network cable falls out or something of the sort. In Firefox, I get an error message right away saying the usual "Cannot find server".

Right now, I'm not sure if the problem is in the Parallels tool set, or within Ubuntu itself.

6. barryw

barryw Member

Do you have any other vm's running?

Have you installed any othe vm's?

7. super awesome

Yeah but none that worked, would deleting them make a difference? I don't see why it would...

8. barryw

barryw Member

I would check to if the network driver got installed in windows. Under network properties (My Network Places) you should see a Parallels Host-Guest Virtual NIX and it should show connected - at least mine does, but I have a vm session running.

If not, I would try an un-install and re-install of the product, then try creating a new vm without changing any of the network settings. Then let your guest os use dhcp. That will get you past this hurdle.

Oh - if you have windows firewall installed and running try turning that off before you go through all of this above first.

Good luck!

9. Ray

Ray Member

Check this thread out http://forum.parallels.com/thread33.html it relates to a similar type problem that I had with networking when I first installed Parallels. Since changing it as per this thread I have installed Dapper Drake 6 and the networking etc is ok.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  10. super awesome

Thanks for the advice Ray. I read that thread up and down and tried some of the stuff in it, but still nothing in Ubuntu. There is a network connection for Parallels in XP and it's working fine, but for some reason Ubuntu still gets absolutely nothing. I'm sure the answer is probably real simple but I just haven't stumbled across it yet...

11. super awesome

Ray, where did you find Dapper Drake? I thought it wouldn't be out for a few more months...is it beta?

12. Ray

Ray Member

It's still beta, but I read on the Freetalk forum how good it was so I decided to give it a whirl. I googled for 'dapper drake' and found the download sites from there. Just remembered I downloaded using Prozilla Gui, this was the download address http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/dapper/flight-6/dapper-install-i386.iso

I am just starting one of my other computers which has Parallels on it as I seem to recall that there was something funny about how to acces the network on Ububtu, I'll just check it out. Under Ubuntu 6 I found that in the Places Menu was a Network Servers tab and that shoed all my other networked computers (except Linux ones - but I'll look into that). I'm quite unfamiliar with Gnome as this is the first version of Gnome that I have ever installed, all the others have been KDE so I might be trying to tell Eskimos how to make snow, but I do know how frustrating it is to not have network come up automatically.

I have just deleted Dreamlinux, Elive, Mepis 6 and a couple of others because of network problems and I'm much to old to be farting around trying to make simple things work.

Hope thats of some help.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  13. barryw

barryw Member

Do a couple of checks...

I hate to see someone struggle like this! Gather a couple of pieces of info and let's see if we can get this working.

In Windows, obtain your IP Address, Mask and Default Gateway.
    Here are the steps if you are unsure...
    Right click on "My Network Places" and select Properties
    In this window you will have a least two devices.
    Click on the physical device and then Properties in the new window
    Then scroll to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - click on that and then click Properties
    You will then get the information for the above.

If you do the same for the Parallels connection, you will notice that it is set up to get information form dhcp.

Now - in Ubuntu:

Click on System | Administration | Networking
    Click on the Ethernet - then properties - it should be set to dhcp

Now under Applications | Accessories - open a terminal session
    Enter the command: ifconfig -a
    This will list a lot of info - scroll to the beginning and write down your inet address, Bcast and Mask - mine looks like this:
    inet addr:192.168.1.14 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0

Now enter this command in the terminal window: netstat -r
    You will probably get two lines of info. One the line for default, what is your gateway address?

Let's put this together and see if things really are able to communicate.

Barry

14. super awesome

Thanks for replying Barry...rather than trying to type everything out, I've attached a screenshot. According to Windows Network Connections, the Parallels is set up fine...

[​IMG]

15. barryw

barryw Member

What does Windows say?

Well, I can see why you aren't getting anywhere with Ubuntu. What does your Windows set say?

16. super awesome

According to XP, Parallels has its own IP Address and Subnet Mask, but it has no gateway. (Is it okay to post my IP info here? Seems like a fairly secure forum, but better safe than sorry.)

17. barryw

barryw Member

Your IP under the Windows physical network card should be in the range of the following:
    10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x
    If it is, then it's a private network number and safe to post.
    If not, then you have some work to do...

What's your internet connection - DSL, Cable???

18. super awesome

Connection here is cable, ultra reliable (most of the time, ha).

IP Addy for Parallels is 10.37.129.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

As you can see in the screenshot, niether of these show up under "eth0" under Ubuntu.

19. barryw

barryw Member

No no no - The one for your Windows network card. The REAL one, not the parallels one.

20. super awesome

Hmm, my actual IP address shown in the Network Connections (tested it with ipconfig as well) is a 24.xxx, as is the gateway.......is this real bad?