Parallels with Verizon EVDO/Wireless

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by slewis, Nov 6, 2006.

1. slewis

slewis Bit poster

I've got Parallels running in bridged mode on my MacBook Pro, and everything seems to work except for one thing: I can't seem to figure out how to configure Parallels to work when I'm connecting to the net via Verizon's EVDO service. When connected, everything on the Mac side works just fine, and I can browse the net, etc., but Parallels does not seem to understand how to address the ppp routing.

Is there a way to configure Parallels to work with the EVDO service so that both the mac and windows can have access to the net? Thanks in advance for any information.

2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

I suggest that you try Shared Networking (new option in build 1966 and up). This should make it so that the guest can connect to the internet whenever your Mac is connected, whether it is using the EVDO service or any other method.

3. slewis

slewis Bit poster

I've tried using the shared networking setting, but for some reason, that doesn't work when using the Verizon service. I'm beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the fact that Verizon changes network settings, and there are no parallels adapters defined under the Verizon network settings.

Is there a way to get Parallels to re-install its virtual networking settings in another networking profile?

4. davpel

davpel Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with Parallels and Verizon EVDO (via tethering with my Pocket PC device) and I posted about it last week here with no responses.

David

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Actually Shared Networking mode should work with any kind of Mac OS X connection...

6. slewis

slewis Bit poster

That's what I'd like to try, but the networking configuration for EVDO doesn't seen to carry over the routing entries for the Parallel's networking. Is there a way to get Parallel's to apply its network routing entries into a new profile?

7. tfcm

tfcm Bit poster

Works for me

I have a MBPro 17" with the Verizon EVDO Expresscard. Parallels works fine for me. I can surf, VPN, etc....

All I did was enable shared networking and reboot. I do make sure that I have the EVDO network up and running prior to launching Parallels, FWIW.

Kurt

8. slewis

slewis Bit poster

When you installed the verizon card, did you install verizon's software, too? If you did, how did you add the network settings for parallels to the network profile for the EVDO (which seems to only become active when the verizon software is operational)? If not, what settings did you use to add the EVDO to the networking configuration for the standard networking configuration?

9. slewis

slewis Bit poster

The problem I'm having is that the Parallels network settings seem to disappear when Verizon's software establishes a connection. It appears that the Parallels network settings are stored in a default networking profile, while the Verizon EVDO settings do not have those additional, virtual adapaters.

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

slewis,

Lets check something out...
    1. Please open Mac System Preferences and click Network. Then click-open the Location dropdown at the top of the window. How many locations are there?
    2. If you see a Verizon (just guessing) there -- click it. Now, select Network Port Configurations from the Show dropdown. Are Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT on the list?
    3. If not, please create port configuration for by clicking New button and selecting en3.
    4. Click Apply Now and close System Preferences.
    5. Connect to Verizon and issue 'ifconfig' from Mac Terminal. en3 adapter should have "media: autoselect status: active" line. If it doesn't please post your ifconfig output here. You can edit your actual IP addresses if you wish.
    6. If your VM is still unable to access the internet try 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd' from Mac Terminal.

11. slewis

slewis Bit poster

Thanks for the steps. I will try that if I must resort to using the Verizon connection manager software.

What I've done in the meantime is remove the connection manager and add the EVDO card to the network profile that already has the Parallel's specific network adapters (the Verizon profile did not have those). After adding the EVDO card to the default networking profile, I was able to use Parallels with the shared networking option to access the wireless connection.

Thanks again for your help.

12. rshah21

rshah21 Bit poster

Using EVDO under Shared Networking with another active connection

Quick follow on question:

Has anyone tried using Shared Networking when two available devices are active:

As an example, I usually have an EVDO card plugged in and active, while also having an ethernet connection active. The ethernet connection is intended for traffic to the local network, but its Intetnet connection is horrid. The EVDO card provides me with access to the Internet.

When using host-only networking, I would share the EVDO card with the VM. If I run shared networking, what will parallels assume is the shared network device? Will it attempt to use NAT through both devices by giving me multiple ethernet interfaces in the VM? If it does do both devices, any advice on how to best route traffic [any preferred HOWTOs on routing traffic under XP?

Thanks

13. jcbeckman

jcbeckman Junior Member

"6. If your VM is still unable to access the internet try 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd' from Mac Terminal."

Doing this got it working for me with my Verizon card.

14. makahuhu

makahuhu Bit poster

jcbeckman... sorry to ask, but I'm kind of an OSX novice (especially with Mac Terminal stuff). I've made the jump though, with my new MacBook Pro, and running Parallels so I can continue to support my WinXP / Server clients.

What will 'sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd' from Mac Terminal do?

Also, do you have any good resources for Mac Terminal commands? This is definetly the direction I want to head. So far, I must say... I'm loving the dual dev environment, beats carrying around two laptops and cross-over cables.

Thanks for any help.

15. jcbeckman

jcbeckman Junior Member

16. joem

joem Forum Maven

A better (or additional) choice might be LINUX in a Nutshell, also by O'Reilly. When you find an interesting command, the built in manual (man commandname) will give you the details where Mac differs from LINUX. The Bourne Again shell (BASH) description in that book is good. This is the default Mac shell.

If the above doesn't make sense, read the book and it probably will.

17. makahuhu

makahuhu Bit poster

thanks jcbeckman and joem... this will help.

on the EVDO front... post 2 and 3 of this thread explain in good detail how I got my EVDO to work. It's a thread I started trying to figure out the best way to setup an OSX / WINXP Parallel VM environment for CSS/XHTML development and testing.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=28597

18. rlockhart

rlockhart Junior Member

Blackberry 8703e EVDO support

I have a Macbook (NOT a Pro) and would like to get EVDO in tethered mode running under Parallels and OS X. Has anyone been successful with a Blackberry 8703e? Verizon does not offer Macintosh sw for this device, so right now, it's the only show stopper I have.

Skyroom Ron

19. JoelPM

JoelPM Bit poster

I'm using Parallels on a 15" MBPro with Verizon's EVDO. When I first got the Novatel card I followed all VZW's instructions and installed the software that came with the card. However, I couldn't for the life of me get the hosted VM to have access to the internet and I also couldn't get Internet Sharing to work. After a couple weeks of getting nowhere I uninstalled the VZW software and just used the native support for the card, which solved all my problems (incidentally, it also solved some issues with not being able to reconnect to the EVDO network after sleeping my laptop).

If you're can't get the networking to work in Parallels, I'd recommend taking these steps:

1) Uninstall the VZW software
    2) Enable Internet Sharing on the "Novatel Wireless EXPD CDMA" connection and share it through the Ethernet Adaptor (en2) device (at least on my machine, this is the virtual adapter that parallels uses).
    3) Use "host-only networking; virtual adapter" in the image setup.

For some reason the DNS lookup seems to fail on the first request, but if I hit refresh in the browser it will load the page the second time.

If this doesn't make sense I can try and write up a better description.

20. tfcm

tfcm Bit poster

MBP and EVDO

Ok. I have been using the Verizon software. I make sure to launch it and connect prior to running Parallels and it works fine.

I did notice that the Verizon software was preventing my Mac from sleeping, so I have since removed it. But have not tried using Parallels and built-in EVDO support yet.

Will report back when I do.

TFCM