1940: shared folders and setuid bit?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Frungy, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Frungy

Frungy Junior Member

Since upgrading to 1940 on my Mac Pro (and uninstalling and reinstalling the Tools) the shared folders have given me some odd behavior. They had mostly been working for the past few versions, but now the following issue has come up:

Using a demo version of ArcView GIS, I can create a new map document file and save it at least once. Thereafter it appears to save updates, even changing the timestamp and size using ls -l, however if I reopen the document it reverts to the earlier state. Previously I did not notice anything else odd, however today I saw the group setuid bit was set:

[EvilPlace1:working] dmt% ls -l
    -rwxr-Sr-- 1 dmt dmt 121856 Oct 20 08:48 p15_tubes_test1.mxd*

If I change the group permissions to rw- with chmod, it has reverted after another save file attempt. I was able to create and update new shapefile themes (comprised of a set of files containing vector geometry (.shp) and attributes (.dbf) along with other auxiliary files for use in GIS) in the editing mode of ArcView. I was kind of wondering just how the shared folders interact with OS X permissions-wise. Under cygwin the same documents are

-rw-r--r--

CorelDraw would also save a document once, then claim it was read-only for prior saves. I never saw the setuid deal on those files though.

The shared folders were mapped as drives, through the .psf path in the network browser. They are on a separate drive from the system volume. I have since reconfigured to map the folders to drives using windows file sharing (after figuring out a symbolic link to the other drive under my home directory allowed this) and everything seems to be working for ArcView.

The machine is a Mac Pro, 2.66 GHz with 4GB RAM, 7300 GT video. Two seagate 7200.10 320GB drives in addition to the stock system drive. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this; I didn't see anything related in a search (admittedly cursory) of the forum.

Cheers,
    Frungy

2. dcrane

dcrane Bit poster

I am having the same behavior with build 1940. I noticed that if I just create a text file in XP, the date/time/permissions are normal. But if I create the new file with an app (like Microsoft Visio), I get the -rwxr-Sr-- permissions.

In previous builds, I had a date problem where these files were from 1969; but that seems to have been fixed in this latest production build.

I have the folder defined as a shared folder, and mapped in XP through the .psf path as well.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 15" 1.67 - w/2G Ram

This permissions issue is driving me crazy. Any fixes so far?

3. Djoh

Djoh Member

Perhaps a similar/related problem:

I use some Symbolic Links in my .psf/SharedFolder to access the documents I need to edit.
    This works just fine, until I stop my work and (at some point afterwards) it turns out any Symbolic Links in that folder have turned into "Unix Executables", ie. perms=—rwxrwxrwx instead of lrwxrwxrwx. The symlink still contains the information, I just can't turn it back into a link...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006