MacPro not waking up when in Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lsnover, Nov 13, 2006.

1. lsnover

lsnover Junior Member

Hi folks:

When I leave Parallels open on my MacPro, it is going to sleep, then when I try to restart, nothing. I have to restart the computer to get back in. It won't "wakeup".

Anyone else seeing this? Any way to fix it?

Thanks,
    Lee

2. timon

timon Member

At least I'm not the only one with this problem!

Come on parallels, get off you &*% and talk to us. Some of us will work with you but you have to get your head out of the sand.

3. lsnover

lsnover Junior Member

Timon:

Guess that means your seeing this problem? ;-)

It is not a minor issue, as I want to use my Mac and Parallels as my primary workstation. I need to be able to leave Windows running and return to my work without the entire system staying out to lunch.

It does not happen when I am not running Parallels.

Again, any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lee

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

What is your Parallels build number?

5. timon

timon Member

Build 1970

6. murdocdv

murdocdv Junior Member

I am seeing the same problem, even on the previous public build, so I have just taken to suspending VM's when I need to put the Mac to sleep. That isn't to much fun either, since suspend takes as long/longer than a cold boot of the VM.

7. Andrew @ Parallels

There was such a problem in 1940, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1970. Thanks for the report - we will investigate this.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  8. timon

timon Member

Maybe you could also look at the font issues when running Access programs that I reported TWO WEEKS AGO, case 53246, and that NO ONE will replied too:mad: . This dates back to at least Build 1922.

This is a serious problem which does not happen when running bootcamp or on normal PCs. As I've stated when I opened the case we do have a test case that you can run.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

timon,

Thanks - I will see to it.

10. lsnover

lsnover Junior Member

Mine is also Build 1970.

Thank you for your consideration.

Lee

11. virek

virek Member

12. lsnover

lsnover Junior Member

Yeah, I saw the update this morning. Will install it this evening and see what happens. Hoping for the best.

I should have known better then to get a V1 of new Apple hardware. For all the hoopla about Apple, they've had their share of lemon models. The PowerMac 6100-6300 series come to mind, along wiht some of the 8000 series. Some models where super rock solid like the Mac IIcx and Mac SE. Seems to take them a couple of cycles to get things right.

I was hoping the Intel hardware would be different, since most of the technology is more "standardized" due to the massive PC market.

Hopefully these fixes will sort things out.

Regards,
    Lee

13. metz123

metz123 Bit poster

Still happens with EFI firmware update

It still happens even after applying the Mac firmware update. It's too bloody painful to suspend parallels every time I want to shut my laptop and have it go to sleep. One of the reasons I switched to a mac was because sleep/wake up worked properly (unlike XP which takes years to both sleep ad wake up and most time fails to do it properly).

14. Andrew @ Parallels

Could you try to pause Parallels (menu VM->Pause) before going to sleep? It is very quick operation. Does it happen in that case?

15. metz123

metz123 Bit poster

Sleeps fine when paused

My Macbook goes to sleep fine when the VM is paused.

16. Andrew @ Parallels

Thanks! This information is very valuable in tracking this bug down.

17. balkanboris

balkanboris Member

Works fine on new MBP. No need to pause. Just close the lid, make a cup of tea, open and it all works again. Parallels 1970.

Nice software. Great job so far.

18. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

I'm not experiencing this problem with my mac pro; build 1970, 2.66, 2 gigs stock apple ram. Sleep works fine for me with linux and winxp guests. To those of you having this problem, have you ran any other diagnostics to rule out other system issues? Try verify disk on primary volume (using disk utility) - file system glitches can cause issues with sleep/wake up. Check system profiler memory info - any errors being reported? Are you using non apple RAM?

Also verified functionality on neighbor's 3.0 mac pro w/16 gigs stock apple ram; doesn't appear to be a high memory issue.

19. timon

timon Member

Did a total reload of OSX followed by parallels. System now wakes up. Something about the first parallels load did not set well with the OS.