Workaround for installing Parallels Tools on XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by warenes, Nov 13, 2006.

1. warenes

warenes Bit poster

Hi,

Like others, I had problems installing/upgrading Parallels Tools in XP after upgrading to version 1970. Nothing happened when I selected the "Install Parallels Tools" from the VM-menu.

The following solution worked for me:
    1) Connect image /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso to your running XP virtual machine. This mounts a CD image with the tools.
    2) This image contains a file PrlTools.exe; running it will start the installer.

Regards,
    Walter

2. marcmec

marcmec Junior Member

Worked for me too. Thanks dude, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on...

3. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

What do you mean by "Connect" to a running VM

4. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

I found the connect under devices but do not have the file you suggest in the library...not sure what you are doing. Could you elaborate a bit for this moron....thanks! How do you get the: image /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.iso

5. warenes

warenes Bit poster

Re: how to connect image

Hi, some clarification:

The vmtools.iso image is normally located in directory /Library/parallels/tools. Use the Finder or Spotlight to verify the location of this file on your Mac's drive. The /Library directory is the one in the ROOT of your MAC's harddrive. Note that you also have a Library/Parallels directory in your home directory, but that's not the right one.

Now, when windows XP is running in a Parallels window, click on the CD icon (normally somewhere in the bottom right edge of the window surrounding XP, next to the drive lights) and select "Connect Image.." from the menu that pops up. Browse to the vmtools.iso file and press "Open".

If you now go back to XP, you will see that a CD has been mounted. This CD contains the file PrlTools.exe; double click this file and installation will start...

If you are done, go again to the CD icon to disconnect the vmtools.iso image.

Walter

6. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

I finally did as you directed, still doesn't work when I run the PrlTools.exe I get the same error, installer cannot tell the current version and aborts. It would seem that Parallels should be able to duplicate this problem but they seem to deny it exists even wwith all the posts about it here and elsewherel.