Webex crashes Parallels and video goes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bhorta1, Oct 30, 2006.

1. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

I have installed the current trial version of parallels and XP professional lastest service pack. When I access a webex session and begin to present my desktop (I am working with a developer on a product) the session will get the beachball after a while and if I am in full screen I am unable to switch back without getting the video scrambled and having to reboot.

If I am in windowed mode it causes overall performance problems, beachball and I have to force quit the VM. I tried with VT-x enabled and disabled.

This is on a Mac Pro with a ATI 1900 videocard. Otherwise the VM works fine and I have no other issues other than Webex/desktop sharing causing major problems.

2. seanfrazier

seanfrazier Bit poster

yep

been posting this for the past few months. i hope they get around to fixing it someday or at least offering a work around.

- sean

3. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

It is a serious problem and hopefully it gets corrected since I was working with a development team and was supposed to provide feedback on another program but unfortunately the VM took down my workstation and on reboot it would not work. I wonder if the VM video drivers run in ring 0 with the kernel and any type of bug will wipe out everything.

4. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Parallels PLEASE fix this problem! It's killing business users, and I have to use webex frequently. For this reason I'm borrowing a Windows laptop from our IT group JUST for webex meetings! Unfortunately our corporate standards are Live Meeting (truly broken, won't launch at all in Parallels) and Webex (runs sort of, crashes every time).

Mark

5. VTMac

VTMac Pro

This might help some of you as a temporary solution...
    GotoMeeting does work and I use it ever day to work with development teams and to host online meetings.

I know that doesn't solve the real problem and many of you have corporate standards, but to the extent you need something (anything?) that will work right now, you could use gotomeeting. BTW, they have 30 day free trial.

Full Disclosure -- I don't work for GotoMeeting, but I have friends that do.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for reporting this problem! We are currently investigating WebEx issue.

7. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Goto Meeting is fantastic, I'm a big fan. It's lightweight, easy to use and perfect for my needs, and I've used it since it first rolled out. It works in the VM and it also works seamlessly as a native OSX app - no need for Parallels there at all. Wow I wish I could use it.

Unfortunately I changed jobs a couple months ago and I can't use Goto Meeting here. In fact, Webex is frowned upon because it's expensive (but we do have a company subscription), so we have a corporate license of Live Meeting. I hate Live Meeting and the fact that it doesn't run at all is a bonus to me. :) But I at least need webex to work because I conduct frequent meetings.

At this point, I'm loading Boot Camp and will use it just for meetings. I hope that works for now, but wow I wish it worked in the VM!

Mark

8. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Well I gave in and set up Boot Camp last night. I have to have this working and had no choice. I'm still using Parallels for everything else, but to run meetings I had to tear off 15Gb of my hard drive. I'd really like that back! :)

Mark
    ...thanks Parallels, it's a great product and I still love it

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

My bootcamp partition is five gig (the minimum). I have two gig of RAM so I disabled the swap file, picking up the two gig XP wanted to use for it. I installed MacDrive (commercial product) and can use the rest of the machine as shared storage between XP and OSX. I used FAT32 for XP and can read and write the XP partition from OSX as well. I put a 160 Gig HD in my MBP, so losing the five is a good tradeoff. XP takes about two, leaving three for whatever else i need to install. Data goes on the OSX partition via MacDrive. So far, so good.

10. ericw

ericw Bit poster

Another person bitten by this bug

So WebEx meeting manager for OS X doesn't work on Intel, and WebEx meeting manager for Windows crashes Parallels when you run it there. Now I have no solution for hosting WebEx meetings, which I do regularly.

A fix soon would be very very helpful; this is extremely painful.

11. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

Not just webex, Microsoft Livemeeting kills Parallels.

The moment I hit share the application,desktop. I get the beachball and all kinds of problems.

This is a pretty serious bug since I work with developers also and the only work around was terminal servicing to a Windows XP box and doing the netmeeting from there.

This just happened today, first time using Livemeeting. I was hoping it would not be a problem.

12. msb

msb Bit poster

Yes, LiveMeeting doesn't work either

That's correct. Live Meeting's sharing features causes Parallels to crash as well. I sent an email to support, and they said a "fix will be available soon."

As a workaround I uninstalled both the video driver and mouse driver from "Parallels Tools" within WinXP. After uninstalling, I successfully used LiveMeeting's application sharing feature without crashing Parallels. This isn't ideal, but it's a workaround.

Hope this helps!

13. mtooker

mtooker Bit poster

Webex crashes parallels

This is a big part of my usage of parallels, and while if I stay in a powerpoint, I can continue presenting, as soon as I follow a link the mouse flickers, SBOD and I haev ask attendees to Logon post reboot.

This is very important and I hope is a high priority for the team.

Thank you.

Michael

14. Andrew @ Parallels

Guys,

We are working on both Webex and Livemeeting problems. We understand cause of problem and working on solution. Fix and update will be available soon.

15. mtooker

mtooker Bit poster

Thank you, this is actually a big deal for surviving in the business sales/presentation usage. Every week does make a difference!

Michael

16. mcqueary

mcqueary Member

Andrew,

Any chance the WebEx issue is fixed in the new beta, Build 3036?

Thanks,
    Larry

17. Andrew @ Parallels

It is actually fixed but not in 3036 build yet. It will be included in next update.

18. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

That is great to know. Looking foward to that release :)

19. lithe951

lithe951 Member

That's FANTASTIC news! I won't install 3036 (but I really can't wait to try coherence), but will definitely load the next one. Any chance it fixes LiveMeeting too?

Mark

20. Andrew @ Parallels

LiveMeeting is also fixed - it was the same bug.