USB 2.0 for parallels desktop for mac?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jon200581, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jon200581

jon200581 Bit poster

When i connect my removable hard drive to the usb port in parallels i get the message "this device can perform faster".
    I cannot find any info on this in the manual or on the internet, does parallels support usb 2.0 or am i stuck with these painfully slow tranfer speeds?

Thanks for any help!!

2. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

You really haven't looked very hard. About 90% of the threads on this forum are about USB under parallels.

Parallels runs virtual machines. These virtual machines make use of some of the hardware capabilities of the host machine... but the host OS has to have appropriate hooks in place to allow the virtual machine to take over the hardware. USB at OSX level doesn't like letting go of its hardware.

Best way to approach Parallels is not so much "why doesn't everything work?", but "wow, they did get that to work".

Fortunately there are workarounds.

If you allow you external drive to be controlled by OSX, you can set up a Parallels Shared Folder accessing its mount point ... /Volumes/<my external drive> and you will have high speed access to your external drive (Allegedly. I haven't tried this myself).

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

The default assumption Windows makes is that if a port reports USB1.1 it is a 1.1 speed port, and if it reports 2.0, it's a high speed port. Parallels reports 1.1 but actually uses the 2.0 hardware on the Mac to deliver near 2.0 speed. This is a combination Windows doesn't understand, so it reports based on its incorrect assumptions.

4. jon200581

jon200581 Bit poster

Thanks Mr SA works a treat........