How do I access host computer by IP when IP is changing...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by antum, Nov 15, 2006.

1. antum

antum Bit poster

Hi,

At work my IP is usually 10.0.0.x and at home it will be 192.168.1.x

I run a local test server for developing websites so the host computer sees this as 127.0.0.1 but the guest OS sees it as the 10.0.0.x or 192.168.1.x

I want to be able to access websites from my guest OS on my Host computer the only way I have found of doing this is to edit the hosts file on the guest computer and tell it to look for x.testwebsite.test on 10.0.0.x when I'm at work and 192.168.1.x when I'm at home,

The problem is I have to manually change it when my IP changes,

Is there a way to assign a 'static' IP to the host computer just for the guest OS to access?

Thanks,
    Ant

2. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

Host-only networking does this. The host will be 10.37.129.2. The guest will be something like 10.37.129.3. If you still need access to the internet. Set up Internet Connection Sharing and the guest will be able to make use of that.

3. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

I don't know if this will suit your purposes, but I do just the opposite with my web sites. I put the web sites in virtual machines, and develop for them from both the host and other virtual machines. That way the web site IPs can be stable and unique.