Vista RTM experiences?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kshusker, Nov 17, 2006.

1. kshusker

kshusker Member

Anyone tried to install Vista RTM in Parallels yet? Any experiences or tips to share?

2. MacManX

MacManX Bit poster

I've only just installed it, networking is functional after installing the Tools, but the mouse gets "stuck" in the VM and you need to press Ctrl-Opt to get it back to OS X. I haven't tried anything else yet, but I'll post back if I run into any problems.

3. Mark Reddick

Mark Reddick Bit poster

Yep. I've installed Vista RTM this morning.

It worked great. No problems so far.

I'm running it with Parallels build 1970 on a 3Ghz Mac Pro with 12GB RAM.

I haven't done a lot with it yet but so far it looks good.

Edit:
    I don't have any problems with the mouse getting stuck after installing the VM tools.

4. elevative rick

elevative rick Bit poster

Installed last night

I have RTM running in parallels now. smooth install, but Realtek driver not there, i'm new to Parallels so i'm sure it's probably something that happened in the RC's but i haven't found the thread to fix yet.

But nothing much different than when I put in XP Pro? works great for me so far.

I'm a MBP 2.16 2Gb RAM, have max 604Mb set aside for Vista and it's behaving, including office 2007 rtm inside of it.

5. MacManX

MacManX Bit poster

I'm running build 1940, I didn't realise that there was a new one. Updating now.

Edit: Parallels crashed during installation of the new Tools.

Edit 2: Worked the second time, and the mouse now synchs properly :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  6. johnnytk36

johnnytk36 Junior Member

Im having some slow network experience with vista RTM. when exploring my windows xp machine it is very slow when copying files. I am about to install it on a main machine without paralles and i want to see if some of the problems i am having is RTM itsself or becasue its in parallels.

Ill elt yall know

7. Cheezr

Cheezr Bit poster

I am running vista and parallels 1970 and although it installed all the tools, shared folders does not work. :(

8. clbell

clbell Bit poster

Shared folders work here and mouse is synced. The problem seems to be that the screen goes blank and I cannot do anything other than rebooting the VM after a period of time, either when coming back from sleep or screen saver.

9. johnnytk36

johnnytk36 Junior Member

I have a question for everyone.

When you go to "desktop background", do you see the same thumbnail for every background?

I have re installed vista twice and it is there both times.

10. bill.robertson

bill.robertson Junior Member

RTM install fails

I've had the beta 2 version running for a while, with build 1970 of Parallels.

I've tried installing the RTM Vista this morning and have had no success. I've tried both the typical and Express Parallels install. Both failed during the file-expansion stage with an error message from Vista that a file was missing or corrupt. Error code was 0x80070017.

Anyone else have this problem, or should I assume the DVD we got from our reseller is bad?

11. mackmc

mackmc Bit poster

I have Vista RTM from MSDN Universal subscription installed. No noted issues. Absolutely flawless install using the default settings in new VM, install Vista.

I'll be pleased to check issues in my install if someone would like.

Mack

12. bill.robertson

I tried with another copy of the original DVD and the install worked fine. So apparently copying the install DVDs with Disk Utility on a Mac isn't the best way to do it.:)

13. shockerspaz

shockerspaz Bit poster

RTM on 1970

works like a charm :D (other than the lack of hardware support for 3d and the occasional Ptools crashing) :)

14. mark@markandshannan.com

mark@markandshannan.com Bit poster

Compressor does not work

I installed Vista of MSDN and it is working just fine, however when I tried to use Parallels Compressor when it tries to install I get an error message:

Couldn't create the file c:\windows\system32\msg.dll

And it does not run. Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks

15. palter

palter Hunter

Time synchronization

Has anyone else noticed that the time synchronization feature of Parallels Tools doesn't work in Vista? (Well, at least, it doesn't work for me.) It's quite obvious after suspending the Vista VM and resuming some time later. The clock in Vista never updates to the correct time.

16. palter

palter Hunter

Parallels Shared Folders icon

If you uncheck the option to show the Parallels Shared Folders icon on your desktop, you have to logout/login on Vista to make the change take effect. (On XP, the change is immediate.)

Once you've turned off the desktop icon, turning it back on doesn't work.

17. johnnytk36

johnnytk36 Junior Member

When i try to open a powerpoint file from parallels shared folders Vista RTM crashes. I have office 2007 RTM version.

Any thoughts or anybody having the same experiences?

18. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

I've only installed RTM (from MSDN) and haven't really used it, but it installed ok using the normal install process.

I found that the new automated method of installing Vista doesn't work with image (.iso) files as it keeps complaining I don't have an install disk in my drive even though I have the .iso set up as my CD/DVD drive. I didn't want to burn my .iso to a DVD so I was forced to install the regular way. That worked just fine at least.

19. Giber

Giber Bit poster

change reseller, you could be more lucky!

change reseller, you could be more lucky!

20. bill.robertson

Unfortunately, I'm at an educational institution, and our campus reseller is the only option. :)