How can I right-click on my MacBook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Maureen, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Maureen

Maureen Bit poster

I have a new MacBook with Parallels and Windows XP installed. The MacBook trackpad only has one button for clicking. Is there a keystroke I can use to right click? How about getting an external mouse? I see that there are problems with bluetooth and USB so what type of mouse is known to work?
    thanks, Maureen

2. Kloek

Kloek Bit poster

To simulate right click , I use Control,Shift and pad click. It works on my system.
    I also use a Logitech Bluetooth V270 mouse and it works very well as wel on the Mac side as on the Windows XP side

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Most any USB mouse will work. Windows was designed for a two button mouse, and an eight dollar wheel mouse will work in both Windows and OSX.

OSX will capture the mouse, and Parallels will pass mouse movement and clicks to the guest so you don't need guest drivers (other than Parallels tools). For portability and operation in limited space, I use a Microsoft trackball in both OSX and Windows. The extra buttons are handy in OSX, but only the left and right buttons (and the wheel spin and click) are passed to the guest. There is currently no way around this.

4. Marko

Marko Member

You can setup a Right Mouse Click Key combo under menu Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Hot Keys -> Mouse Right Click Simulation.

5. mans.gustafsson

mans.gustafsson Bit poster

Another way to do it is to enable the new feature (I think) to emulate a secondary click when two fingers are placed on the trackpad while clicking. Works great for me in Ubuntu Linux.

//måns

6. peterleander

peterleander Bit poster

I agree with Måns. Two fingers on the trackpad i a very convenient feasture both in MacOs and Windows.
    /peter

7. toadstool

toadstool Junior Member

Nice

Nice, I didn't notice this feature until it was mentioned. For those wondering, it's found in MacOS X "System Preferences" -> "Keyboard and Mouse" -> "Trackpad" tab -> "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" checkbox.