"Snapshots"

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by JollyRoger, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Anyway you guys could mimic the ability of other virtualization programs by allowing the creation of "snapshots" so that a user can step back or forward in "state/time" of his virutal machine?

That would be very very very handy..

2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Also add the ability to run the machine without modifying the hard drive. That's excellent for trying out deployments.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Sure is...

Hmm might have to switch my company over to vmware once they come out of beta :(

4. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

I'm actually concerned about the direction Parallels might be taking. I think too many kiddos wanting to play windows games on mac (when they have boot camp -_-) might be changing the focus.
    I'm a developer and I care much more about deployment simulation, networking cases and trying out new linux distros than playing the sims 2 on linux. But oh well, lol.

5. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Couldnt agree with you more.. If you want to play games boot native..

Its not like it is hard with bootcamp or anything.. (i mean seriously wth would you want to play a game in a virtual machine anyways? If you are that much of a damn gamer you should be a fps whore and not want to take the hit..)

6. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Wouldn't be the first time that a lot of whining gamers killed a product that was useful to a whole lot more people than there are gamers. Gamers have never really grasped how locked in to the M$ monoply that they are addicted to. They keep pushing their addiction into every corner of the computing world like any other crack addict. Too bad they don't have the knowledge (or the attachments!) to push back on their pushers rather than the rest of the computing community. They should spend their time bad-mouthing the greedy pigs that refuse to turn out their games for other platforms, but they're too scared that they will cut off their dope by refusing to cut back on their huge profits.

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

^

What he said!

anyways snapshots would be a bloody nice thing to have!!! (you know for those who actually work for a living)

8. sander

sander Bit poster

yeah snap shots would be great, i would save me aloat of time with testing software installations.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

I hope someone is paying attention.. This is a feature that would make alot of REAL WORLD USERS happy. (read corporate)

10. Sean.winmac

Sean.winmac Bit poster

Snapshots(?)

"Snapshot" as in like what VMWare does on the x86 version?
    Ability to have one core image, then branch off from there with various different branches/'states' of the VM? This seams more valuable than accessing bootcamp partitions. This would save considerable hdd realstate. I also wish this to be higher on the over-all WishList of featrues.

11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Yupo.. exactly what i was after...

hopefully they pay attention to this.. While bells and whistles are nice.. i think a good solid core of features and functions that are targeted to the corporate environment are critical.

12. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

But if a solid gamers market develops it will finance improvements in quality for the rest of us

Hugh W

13. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

2 years from now when VMWare has everything now?
    Besides, gamers will start bothering about performance non-stop to squeeze 5fps when they should be playing games on their native platform.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

I am sorry that is an extremely dumb thing to think/say. Real gamers arent going to want any emulation or middle man that will effect their games performance. The casual gamer is not going to purchase parallels to simply play solitare on his machine.

They need to focus on features and functions that will appeal to the corporate market... Not the boutique gamer (granted some applications would work better with 3d acel, but to market it to gamers is retarded IMO).

I still want my damn snapshots (at least in the new version they have save files if you terminate parallels with the vm running)

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Bump!!!!!!!!!!

16. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

***nudge nudge***

17. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

Come on guys... this is killing me let it be so i can retire my bloody windows desktop machine that runs vmware....

18. goeschle

goeschle Bit poster

Yes, snapshotting (both persistent and non-persistent snapshots) is a must for the version that's going to be released :)

19. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

maybe someday parallels will wise up to corporate/enterprise needs. Seems like they are dead set to try and capture the "novelty" market.. :(

Hopefully they will have something for snap shots setup in the coming months when our support contract is up for renewal. If not... well it was fun while it lasted.

20. extremis

extremis Bit poster

From the vmware beta 2 changelog:

Snapshot feature - Roll back your virtual machine to a known good state when something goes wrong in your virtual machine - for example, when your virtual machine picks up a virus, or when a software upgrade causes problems.

Parallels: we have been begging for it, your competitors have it. Can we see some commitment?