Clock out of sync for Linux

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vipul, Apr 13, 2006.

1. vipul

vipul Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running Parallels Beta 3 for Intel Mac with Suse Linux Enterprise 9 SP3 running (2.6.5-7.244-default) inside Paralle with VT-x support enabled. My problem is that the Linux "clock" is gaining time.

Instead of 4 hours 45 minutes, the Linux system date has actually advanced 9 hours 30 minutes, it's almost as if it's running at double the speed.

System specs:
    Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: iMac4,1
    CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
    Number Of Cores: 2
    CPU Speed: 1.83 GHz
    L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B02
    SMC Version: 1.1f2

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vipul

2. brettw

brettw Member

I've seen some similar things with the clock and timing under Solaris too ... its almost as if it doesn't have a real time clock emulated but simply goes as fast as it can and updates the date of the machine with calls to the host OS periodically. perhaps somehow your VM is not getting its date adjusted on that periodic update after boot and now it shows whats really going on beneath the hood. this is only speculation but I'd like much more detail from Parallels about how it gets its timing prior to using this in production eventually as it scares me to think it would simply be free running.

hmmmm ... on that thought could it explain why it runs the VM so quickly and consumes so much CPU whilst idle ?

3. waterson

waterson Bit poster

Set your kernel boot parameters to clock=pit

Adding clock=pit to your kernel boot parameters should fix the problem. There are a few documents that describe this problem in various virtualization environments, and suggest some alternatives.

- chris

4. dylanjames

dylanjames Junior Member

I can switch between my clock running too fast or too slow by adding or removing these options:

acpi=off clock=pit nosmp noapic nolapic

So far, I haven't figured out a combination that makes the clock run correctly, but I'm still trying