Latest Parallels build + Vista Host OS = Go Boom!

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by eriqthegeek, Nov 22, 2006.

1. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

Normally I run Parallels on my Mac, but my Mac is in for service :)(), and so temporarily I'm back to using a Windows laptop. I installed the RTM build of Vista Ultimate (from MSDN) and was delighted to see the Parallels release for Vista. Yay!

Now, the problem is, I'm trying to load up an XP image that was originally created under Parallels for Mac. When I try to boot it, Vista goes away. I mean, it doesn't blue screen, no errors, it just reboots the machine. I've tried it twice and it did it both times.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose where things are going wrong? I'm thinking it might not be happy with the fact that the VM was created under Mac, but I've never had a problem running one of these Mac-created VMs under the Linux hosted version of Parallels. (Well, not entirely true, it did complain about device differences and differences in the Parallels tools version -- but those were easily fixed and not catastrophic).

Thanks!
    Eric

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

eriqthegeek,

Do you 2112? If so then try following:

* Create new typical VM and attach old HDD image to it
    * If it won't help try to uninstall Parallels and then install it again

3. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

Thank you!

Yes, I am running 2112, but thankfully your suggestion worked!

I need to remember that for the future, I should just copy the .hdd file when I'm moving across platforms and create the .pvs file for each platform I guess. It never occurred to me before to try that.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Eric

4. The GodFather

The GodFather Bit poster

i have an almost similar situation. This is the first time i am using parallels. i am still evaluating it.

i am running parallels bulid 2112 on my vista rtm build 6000. I created a new vm for win xp and after i start the vm, the system BSODs.

please help..

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Did you try to uninstall Parallels and install it again?

6. The GodFather

The GodFather Bit poster

ok, i reinstalled parallels ws and the problem is fixed. :)

Thanks