PW 2.2 with Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) host -- almost there!

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by hkoster1, Nov 23, 2006.

1. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

PW 2.2 with Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) host -- almost there! [SOLVED]

I'm trying to get PW 2.2 going on the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Edgy on a 64-bit computer -- currently with the latest update on PW 2.2. This is what I did:

1. Make sure to unload the old vm-main and hypervisor kernel modules from before the PW 2.2 update (just in case they're still there).

2. Attend to the dash vs. bash issue... I changed /bin/sh to /bin/bash in /usr/bin/parallels-config, /usr/bin/parallels, and all scripts in /usr/lib/parallels/autostart. I may have missed a few...

3. Run "sudo parallels-config" --> everything compiled OK and modules loaded OK (there are four now: vm-main, hypervisor, virtualnic and vm-bridge).

4. Started Parallels with the command (in a terminal, as user) "parallels &". This seemed to start OK, but output to the terminal was
    as before. Ignoring this, I configured a Linux 2.6 VM, then popped in a Knoppix liveCD. Booting started OK, then failed at the hardware autodetection stage. A similar thing happened when I booted the Mepis liveCD. Finally, I tried the Ubuntu Edgy liveCD, it also hung (but the reason why was hidden behind the splash screen); I tried Ctl-Alt-Del (why I don't know) and booting resumed and gave me the familiar Gnome desktop.

Before installing anything in this VM, I would like to clear up why Knoppix failed to autodetect the VM hardware -- I consider its method among the best in Linuxland. Would it be related to the above terminal messages, I wonder?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Currently, Parallels is not compatible with 64bit host operating systems.

3. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Oh please, my post says clearly that I'm running a 32-bit OS, don't confuse the OS with the hardware...

Refer also to the PW 2.2 User Guide, page 12, Hardware requirements for host OS: OK to have a 64-bit computer as long as the OS is 32-bit.

4. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

That darned dash vs. bash issue... [SOLVED]

Indeed, missed a few... Changed the following instances in /usr/lib/parallels:
    That did the trick, PW 2.2 compiling and running fine now on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy), 32-bit version (of course).

5. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

My bad, probably too late at night :) Good to hear you got it working.

6. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

I intend to use a VM to try various other OS'es, and started with Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.17-k7). I configured a Linux-2.6 VM with 1024MB of memory (a little less than the maximum recommended amount of 1136MB). The installation went OK (needed to deactivate PCMCIA checking), but on reboot some problems appeared:

1. sometimes an AGP-related kernel bug stops the boot process cold;

2. at other times booting recovers from the AGP-bug, only to stop cold during configuring CUPSD; and

3. else none of these problems appear, and the boot proceeds cleanly.

Once it boots cleanly, it is also more likely to reboot cleanly.

I found some references stating that upping the memory to the recommended maximum solves the AGP bug, but that's not how it works in my case: lowering or increasing the memory (but never more than recommended maximum) makes no difference: either (1), (2) or (3) above occurs. Usually, the boot succeeds after a couple of tries, sometimes at the first try, but it may on occasion also be the fourth or fifth try.

Is this a defect in the Parallels VM? Or in my AMD-64 motherboard? Or a real kernel bug? Or anything not yet mentioned? Any thoughts appreciated!