can't install suse 10.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sentofuno, Nov 12, 2006.

1. sentofuno

sentofuno Bit poster

i'm trying to install suse 10.1 i386 DVD with PD build 1970. first i had a problem with not having a software catalogue but fixed it with help from this link: http://cbri.umn.edu/~kunau/?p=38

now i can't get past formatting. it failed formatting a swap partition so i tried just having one partition for /root. can anyone help? cheers

edit: btw i'm using en external usb hard drive for all parallels installs. XP and Vista both work for me fine this way.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Load Suse 10.2 beta. Installs fine...

3. sentofuno

sentofuno Bit poster

4. MacManX

MacManX Bit poster

I've had the same problem here. It appears to be a Parallels quirk. SuSE Desktop (SLED) 10 works though.

5. charlest

charlest Member

I have the same problem also.

6. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

With 10.1, I had to manually do the partitioning with fdisk booting into the minimal shell provided in the install image. If that sounds too scary, maybe try booting off the 10.0 or 10.2 beta installer and go through the steps up through the partitioning and then cancel out before software is actually installed. Then boot up the 10.1 installer and opt out of having it re-partition the disk.

7. barryw

barryw Member

Managed to install Suse 10.1

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted. Since then I got a new mac-mini, 1.83, superdrive and all, and upgraded it to 2GB. I could not get parallels to install anything with only 512mb. Anyway, after struggling with an extended suse 10.1 installation, I installed fedora core 5, then went back to suse. After 4 or 5 failed attempts where it would hang up and just stop in various places, I decided to try some changes in the setup. I was creating a large hdd on a usb drive, the same place I had the ISO file to load from. I wanted large partitions, and the full set of file systems using an expanding hdd. I finally increased the memory for the suse setup from the standard 256mb to 512 mb, and lo and behold the installation ran without fail, and with good speed. Those were the only two changes I made to the default setup. Yes, build 1970, and I'm happy with it.