Slingbox?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stevamundo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Does slingbox work with Parallels?

2. setspike

setspike Bit poster

Yup, works great. :)

Use it almost every day.

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Cool!!!!!!!

4. stormj

stormj Member

I do too.

See! Slingbox's Mac software isn't vaporware after all! It's just the win version running in parallels. lol.

5. setspike

setspike Bit poster

LOL.

stormj - you're not the only one eagerly awaiting the mac slingplayer. i can't wait to uninstall slingplayer from my parallel's winxp environment. :)

6. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Shared Networking in Build 1970 affects Slingbox?

I just upgraded my Parallels app to the 1970 build and thought I would try Shared Networking rather than the default bridged networking that I had been using.

I was surprised to find that the Slingbox application could no longer connect to my Slingbox.

When I switched back to bridged networking, Slingbox worked again.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

It's not a big deal -- access to my shared folders and the internet work with the bridged networking but I got the impression from some of the Parallels staff member's posts that Shared Networking was considered the preferred option -- less likely to cause trouble.

This is not the case for the Slingbox app.

7. smax013

smax013 Junior Member

As others have stated, yes, the Slingbox player works within WinXP running within Parallels.

FWIW, there is now a public Mac beta of the Slingplayer (at least there was the last time I went to their website). I have it installed and running on two of my Macs (my MBP and my old G4 tower).

8. smax013

smax013 Junior Member

I would assume that the issue is the NAT effect that the shared networking makes use of. If you are using a Slingbox behind a router and you want to access it from outside your network (i.e. across the internet), then you must open the port on the router that the Slingbox/Slingplayer uses. I would assume that the same thing might potentially be creating the problem with the shared networking in Parallels. You need to some how tell the NAT function (which is also basically what a router does) to route the Slingplayer traffic to the Parallels stuff...in otherword, "open a port". That is the reason why the Parallels folks likely consider the shared networking the "preferred" option...it kind of naturally places your Parallels VM behind a firewall like system. If you do the bridged network, OTOH, you are getting two IP addresses - one for the Parallels VM and one for the Mac OS - and thus there would be nothing between you and the Slingbox (unless you have software firewall running or a router, etc). At least that is how I understand Bridged Networking.

9. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I have my slingbox set up so I can view content from the internet. It works for example from my office. But the assigned IP that shared networking assigns -- and which works inside Parallels for internet access -- does not work wtih the Slingbox. Maybe I should try to use the slingbox app as if I were away from home network -- reset the connection parameters using the finder ID for example to associate the viewer inside Parallels with the slingbox running on the ordinary home network. I may try this later.

Thanks for the reply though.