Is the build 1970 it for Parallels' version of 2.2?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stevamundo, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I'm just curious. Also I hope so. Because Parallels really needs to concentrate on adding major capabilities. Like USB 2.0 and the ability to burn CDs in the VMs. IMHO. Also some people want 3D capability in their VMs very badly.

However I'll be remiss of not saying, Parallels you're doing a nice job. Keep up the good work.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you can burn CD's and DVD's in the host OS what does it matter if it can also be done in the guest os?

3. danboarder

danboarder Junior Member

dkp: For many of us, the purpose of a virtual machine is to test software on multiple platforms. This includes testing CD/DVD burning apps alongside our apps, etc.

Basically, the virtual machine should ideally do just about everything a normal PC can do.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

in reality tho, there are just some things you cant do, or do well in software emulation. I'll be very impressed if the parallels guys can get DirectX and 3D gaming work in the Vm, to a standard where, on todays games, its actually worth trying it.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I hope then that such people put a note on the outside of the box that says "This was tested in a simulated environment. We don't know for sure if it will work with your hardware". I have to say I really don't approve of using a consumer targeted hypervisor in this way. For one thing the range of hardware it presents is limited and obviously abstracted. But that's just me.

But to explain my view of this: I like Parallels because it expands my system capabilities. It gives me a new tool to accomplish more things with my hardware. So long as I can achieve a goal, such as burning a CD, I really don't care which personality in my system does it. I just need it done. There may be things I can do only in Linux, for example. Fine - I can (nothing comes to mind, but it's there if needed). Most things though I can do in OS X. In fact the only need I have for Windows is when essential software is needed that runs only in Windows, or if I need to show off the power of OS X and Parallels :)

In your case your objective is not to burn a CD, but to burn a CD in Windows. My take is I don't care if that never happens because it is a need I don't have and it was not a consideration when I bought Parallels. If it happens then fine, but I think it appeals to a minority audience given that it adds no new capability to the platform.

Clearly this is not the case for all, hence my question.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Because the guest program may have capabilities the available host programs don't.

Some folks just want to run a few Windows (etc.) programs, mainly because those capabilities aren't available in the host. Some want to test software on multiple platforms. Some want a sandbox for testing things that may clobber the guest. There are many reasons for wanting virtual machines, and the fact that your needs can be met with partial emulation is nice for you, but there are some of us for whom that isn't enough.

The ideal virtual machine is one where software has no way of telling it isn't running on raw hardware, and the closer Parallels gets to that ideal, the more useful it will be to those of us who need a true virtual machine to get work done.

There are some features people are asking for that I don't need, but I certainly wouldn't suggest those features not be implemented. Those who need them need them and have to use something else if they don't get them. I'm forced to use bootcamp right now to run a Windows app that won't work in Parallels due to incomplete USB support, but I'd be happier getting rid of the bootcamp partition and using Parallels. And that's just one example.

7. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Because I would like to burn a couple of programs in my Windows XP operating system. That condition isn't possible in the OS X unless I drag the Windows program onto OS X. Then I'd be worried if that program will be corrupt.

Look, I don't really need the 3D feature. HOWEVER I'm reading these forums that some people really want the 3D feature. Thus I really hope that Parallels will add the 3D feature.

Just because you or I don't need a particular feature that does NOT mean that everybody else doesn't need that particular feature too.

8. HinckleyScott

HinckleyScott Member

I've burned a lot of windows CD/DVDs from Mac OS X with no problems. In XP I just attach to a Parallels share and put all the files/directories I want into it, then form the Mac side I create a burn folder with all those files.
    ISos are even simpler.
    If I want to create bootable CDs from the XP side I use one of the burn programs to "burn" the compilation to ISO then burn the ISO to disk from the Mac OS X side.
    So, from my little part of the world, I'd put direct burn from guest OS pretty low on my priority list.

9. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Unfortunately I don't know half of this stuff means.

I know how to burn CDs in both OSX and XP. So FOR ME it would be a lot easier if I could just burn Windows programs on a CD directly in my VM.

Again, if you don't need that feature fine. HOWEVER it does NOT mean that other people don't need that feature too.

10. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Excuse me but, nobody answered my original question in here.

11. palter

palter Hunter

Look at the sticky at the top of this forum. They've announced a beta of the next update and they've said it will be the last free update.

12. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Thank you.

13. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Well technically this build coming up is the part of the new version 2.5. :D

I think that I'll wait for its final version before I download it. It sounds pretty cool.