WinPE, Ghost Images?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by robb1068, Nov 30, 2006.

1. robb1068

robb1068 Bit poster

Just received our first MacIntel laptops with Parallels and would like to utilize the corporate disk image that our company uses to set up new PCs in our VM. Our GHO and GHS files contain Windows XP, all the apps and configs, but we would need to be running something in the VM to facilitate the restore.

The Engineer I'm working with mentioned booting in WinPE and then mapping to the restore files. Since I didn't see WinPE listed under the supported guest OSs, I wondered if anyone had tried that or if that was even possible?

Thanks!

2. jla0

jla0 Junior Member

Tried it and it works great. This is really just Windows made to work on a CD.

You can try and use BartPE for better compatibility with different apps as well.

3. robb1068

robb1068 Bit poster

WinPE CD can ghost an image... but then nadda.

:confused: I'll start out by stating that I don't know exactly what our ghost restore is doing... I assume it's similar to when we restore a disk image via Disk Utility on the Mac.

Anyway, I can boot off our WinPE CD and it runs Ghost and I can direct it to our file server containing our disk images. It installs the GHO file I've selected, but hangs on the restart. If I boot in Safe Mode, I receive a message that the SYSTEM32 file is missing or corrupt.

I know the easy (and obvious) answer is that our Ghost installer is to blame. But has anyone else ran across a missing SYSTEM32 file in their installs and/or restores?

Thanks!

4. mitsaoua

mitsaoua Bit poster

Need to change hal.dll (I think)

Hi there,
    I think you need to change the hal.dll file in the system32 directory.
    Boot into BartPE and change to a non-ACPI hal.dll.

See thread here.

I am trying as I type...

5. mitsaoua

mitsaoua Bit poster

I used the hal.dll from my BartPE

Just worked for me...

6. mick.mueck@comcast.net

mick.mueck@comcast.net Bit poster

Hi,

Having booted from a WinPE CD, a DOS window came up, I pointed it to the network so it could find the Ghost images and then ran Ghost to save the image to my Parallels VM. I know from having done this a few times already that if I restart the machine that it'll attempt to restart from the VM and it'll crap out. I've quit ghost and am back at the DOS window. I need to replace the hal.dll etc., but from the DOS window I simply can't access the newly created C: drive so I can replace the files in C:\WINDOWS\system32.

Can anybody please help me?