Build 1970: svchost.exe eats CPU in XP when upgrading Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by danielearwicker, Nov 23, 2006.

1. danielearwicker

danielearwicker Bit poster

I've upgraded to build 1970. When I restart XP I get a message telling me that my Parallels Tools need to be upgraded. When I go ahead, a process svchost.exe takes 99% of CPU and the virtual machine becomes practically unusable. I don't appear to have a way of upgrading Parallels Tools in this build!

Related question: where can I download older builds of Parallels for Mac?

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Possible you use old shortcut.
    Please run Parallels from Applications.

3. danielearwicker

danielearwicker Bit poster

No, that wasn't it.

I just tried choosing VM - Install Parallels Tools..., waiting for svchost.exe to go crazy, killing it with Task Manager, and then manually running the Parallel Tools installer from the virtual CDROM drive. This ran the installer successfully and then when I rebooted I no longer got the message, so that seems to have solved it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some corruption of the autoplay system in my XP install.

4. HinckleyScott

HinckleyScott Member

5. Antony Nispel

Antony Nispel Bit poster

Build 3188 CPU problems fixed

The CPU on my Macbook was racing until I was instructed by tech support to take a look at my Task manager in XP and discovered 'svchost.exe' process was the culpret. After research on Web, I found that the automatic update feature was driving svchost.exe to frenzic levels. After disabling Window XP's 'Automatic Updates' service within the 'System Properties' panel, Windows returned to normal. Of course, now I need to be vigilent about manually updating XP.

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i did notice a slowdown on my vm, then realised that svchost was running up at 100% and realised i was having the latest Windows update problem.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...update_glitch/

Although theres a suggested hotfix, i found the following article solved my problems.

http://www.stuckiniowa.com/svchostex...y-pc-blog-257/

Quite a few people in my office have suffered from it too.. Once I'd cleared all that up, Parallels was back to its normal speed for me... Something for people having speed issues to check anyway... When svchost gets going, it'll grind the machine to a halt.