Playing Music CDs?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by davide, Oct 7, 2006.

1. davide

davide Member

I've been unable to play music cd's in Win XP Pro, Ubuntu linux and Slackware linux VM's in Parallels. XP launches Media Player, but then says something is wrong with my media. In Ubuntu, the CD shows in the desktop, but the player sees no songs. Slackware is the same.

Does Parallels support music CD's? Or am I just incompetent? :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I have not heard anything from the Parallels people, but my guess is that Parallels is not emulating the CD-audio cable that CDs have on them.

Have you tried playing them back using digital playback? Most CD players won't use this method, so try a CD ripper app and see if it works.

3. Ma(r)c

Ma(r)c Junior Member

Hi Davide,

A bunch of us have experienced this exact same issue (in this thread) and have been making repeated requests for some sort of comment by Parallels since June the 18th. So far, 676 people have read the thread, but nobody from Parallels has commented.

For me, this is one of three deal breakers. I'm transitioning off an XP system at home to a Mac, and my key features are:
    • The ability to run Quicken for Windows (compatible with work laptop used during my travels)
    • The ability to run M$ Project (a must for work)
    • The ability to run JRiver Media Center (manages all my media files)

Sure, some fanboi may well pipe up and say "just use iTunes, it's better!" Sorry, Boo-Boo, but it's not. I serve several UPnP systems around my house, as well as a TiVo with Media Center, plus, 90% of my music files (~270 GB) are in FLAC format - something that iTunes can't deal with.

So, whatever emulator can deal with reading CD audio reliably and runs the two above Windows programs, gets my busines.

Parallels? VMWare? Something else? Doesn't matter.

Anybody??????

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  4. Ma(r)c

Ma(r)c Junior Member

I tried this. It didn't work.

5. Ma(r)c

Ma(r)c Junior Member

One last thought. I have found a work-around. Turn my Window box into a closet-based, headless music server and access it via MS RDC. Since I've got GB running around the house, I guess I could put it anywhere out of sight, then just access it remotely.

I was hoping to eliminate it entirely, but this will allow me to sidestep the MAC / Parallels audio issue altogether. Not pretty, but it works.

HTH.

6. davide

davide Member

Thanks for all the replies.

7. zeker00

zeker00 Junior Member

Playing music CDs

In guest OS_1 I have Windows Media Player 9.0 running, and it plays streaming audio fine. But I cannot paly a "music CD". Digital or analog. Any help ouut there?

Zeker00 :confused:

2GHZ core 2 duo Mac mini, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.4.8, guest OS_1 WinXP home edition SP2, guest OS_2 Win2000PRO, internal 100GB 5400rpm SATA, external 500GB Firewire.

8. davide

davide Member

Playing audio CD's is not supported.

9. tarainfo

tarainfo Bit poster

Work around for audio cds

The work around is to release cd drive from parallel and play it within osx
    Since both oses are running on same machine
    you still hear the cd fine
    Its not perfect but it works

10. davide

davide Member

How does that get the audio thru windows-only applications?