Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blshaw45

blshaw45 Member

Andrew:

Yes, but how? I tried dragging a Windows app to the dock and also to the desktop, but that wasn't it. When I run a Windows app, it doesn't appear in the dock, and I can't Command-Tab to it directly from the Mac side. So what am I missing?

2. simibilly@mac.com

simibilly@mac.com Member

Unfortunately my RealFlight Interlink controller (a USB device) is still not recognized.

3. edelmiro

edelmiro Junior Member

Drug and drop not work

Hi, I install le last build and parallels tools, I can't drug and drop. I click on coherence mode and don't work. How can I drug and drop . My guest system is Vista RC2.
    Thanks
    Regards

4. gor

gor Bit poster

No kidding -- that just blew me away.

I have a dual monitor setup (one for Parallels and one for Mac OS). I usually have two or more XCode windows open and often require moving one of them onto the Parallels screen so that I can see two at once. I always hated when I clicked in the VM and it would obscure everything else on that screen. Now it's not a problem.

Amazing feature guys!

Now my next request is for the VM to have access to all the sound devices in Mac OS. Currently it only uses the default sound input/output as set up within Mac OS. I use a USB headset for my VoIP phone software (which unfortunately only runs under Windows), and I'd like to be able to keep the Mac OS sound coming out of the headphone output. Right now this is impossible because I have to set the audio output to be the USB headset in Mac OS so that Parallels will use it for the VoIP phone.

For me, that would seal the deal on my choice of VM software.

5. gor

gor Bit poster

The integration doesn't seem to be that advanced yet. The big deal is that you can drag mac applications over the Parallels VM, then click a Windows app, and not have the Mac app disappear. So it frees up the Parallels VM desktop space to hold Mac apps.

6. bioengineer

bioengineer Bit poster

Wow I am impressed! The drag and drop feature works great with XP and coherency has just eliminated the need for WINE type solutions in my opinion. I have not tried the Boot Camp solution because I have Vista installed. Any idea how soon the Boot Camp solution will be available for Vista ?
    One other question. In coherence mode is it possible to move the Windows task bar? ie attach it to the menu bar or place it along the side of the desktop?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  7. tychop

tychop Junior Member

How do I boot my bootcamp into Parallel's?

I have installed the required software package in my bootcamp XP, but I still get the "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!" message.
    My bootcamp contains a fresh XPSP2 32GB FAT32 install.

Is there something else I need to check?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  8. blshaw45

blshaw45 Member

Thanks for that, GOR! Once I tried it, I understood. That's COOL!!

9. mvk

mvk Member

Windows Product Activation

When I try to boot into my Boot Camp Windows XP Pro partition via Parallels, I get the Windows Product Activation dialog box. Windows does not respond to either my mouse or keyboard and I am stuck at this point, without Windows proceeding to complete booting.

- Anyone else with this problem?
    - Will alternate booting from Parallels versus Boot Camp on the same partition trigger the Windows Product Activation dialog?
    - Any alternate way to get the keyboard recognized as to proceed?

Thanks!

10. mconners

mconners Bit poster

Where is the USB 2.0 support?

I see this is a very ambitious update, but I see no support for USB 2.0 yet. When is this going to be addressed? Without USB 2.0, it not going to be as viable. The other thing is Parallels is not supporting or should I say, using all the processors available. I would like to see full multi-processor support. Just a suggestion. Mick

11. palter

palter Hunter

Parallels has always said that USB 2.0 will be in the next major upgrade (i.e., version 3.0; we're currently on 2.2) of Parallels. They've implied it will be released early next year (1st quarter?).

12. Kronin

Kronin Bit poster

Did you read this important note in the announcement?

IMPRORTANT! You need to boot in your Windows XP natively through Boot Camp and install Parallels Tools for Boot Camp package in it before your first boot in Parallels Desktop for Mac.

13. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Coherence is awesome. Here's a cool feature: While in coherence, click the toolbar and select "Show the Desktop". Voila, there it is! Now you can access what you have on your desktop. Click on the taskbar again and select "Show Open Windows" to toggle back to Coherence mode.

14. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should run your Windows app and then go to Coherence mode by clicking on toolbar icon. VM and Windows desktop will disappear and you will have your Windows app directly on top of Mac desktop. You also optionally could have Windows task bar on or off (on by default) and run new Windows application when in Coherence mode.

15. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

Parallels tools???

I can't get Parallels tools installed. WinXP Pro. I got a message telling me to upgrade my Parallels tools, but I select "Install Parallels Tools" and the computer just sits there.

Uninstalled Parallel Tools from Controll Panel.
    Reboot
    Attempt to select "Install Parallels Tools".
    Computer just sits there.

How else can I install the new Parallels tools??

Thanx!

16. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Apple should buy Parallels, make everyone there rich, keep them on staff, and roll this into the next OS version. What a killer feature set.

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Sorry, Coherence and Drag and Drop are not working in Vista yet. We are working on this right now.

18. mvk

mvk Member

Yes, I installed it.

19. cun7face

cun7face Bit poster

This is very impressive for a free update. A few notes:

The coherency feature is fantiastic. But I can see how you've implemeneted it, basically by making the desktop "transparent". This is easiest to spot when moving the windows around - you can see the desktop being redrawn and wiped out just beyond the edges of the desktop. Nice hack!

The most annoying thing about the mode is the Window's toolbar. Making it auto-hide makes this a bit better. What seems to be a bug though is that the screen resolution isn't quite right on my original MacBook, so the toolbar isn't quite in the right spot, it floats just above the bottom of the screen.

What would be much nice though having "proxy apps" running in the Mac OS, so that they appear in the dock and so you command-tab to them.

Looking forward to the final release of an great update.

20. blshaw45

blshaw45 Member

I agree; I just found that, too. The more I play with it, the better it gets.

One suggestion for a future enhancement (may be impossible): have the indiviual VM app windows layer (interleave) with OS X windows, i.e. when selecting any visible single VM app window, have only that one window - instead of ALL VM windows - come to the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.