Network workgroup: OS X and the VM won't access each other

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dentate2, Apr 9, 2006.

1. dentate2

dentate2 Bit poster

Yesterday I ran Beta 1 and got everything to work great. Added the VM to my workgroup and both the host and the VM could see each other and be opened. Today after upgrading to Beta 2, this has stopped. OS X sees the VM in Finder under Network, but cannot access it saying the alias cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found (it also will not let me delete the alias, saying that I do not have privileges). At the same time, the VM shows the OS X machine but says no network path found and cannot access. The VM has no problem seeing other machines on my network, and those machines can see the VM. The problem is specifically between the host and the VM, and it did not exist before the Beta 2 upgrade.

Also, I had no issues binding to either en0 or en1 yesterday in Beta 1. Today I must use en1 and disable the Wifi in order to use the internet connection. Any thoughts?

JS

2. BostonMac

BostonMac Bit poster

I have the same problem with a Win 98 VM in Parallels on a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.4.6

I can access the shared folder in Win 98 from any Mac on the LAN exceot the Mini the VM is running on (Including Macs running both Mac OS X 10.4.6 and 10.3.7).

This seems like a problem in Parallels, since I don't have an problem connecting from my PowerBook to a shared folder in a Win 98 VM running in Virtual PC on that machine.

On both machines, the Mac and the VM have separate IP addresses.

--John Hayes

3. dentate2

dentate2 Bit poster

I seem to have solved this by using en1 in the VM configuration file and checking the Wifi option to "on." It seems that both the ethernet and the wifi connections need to be active to do this; try to keep fiddling with the en0 and en1 and with wifi on or off to see which combination gets it to work for you.

4. BostonMac

BostonMac Bit poster

Thabks for ltting me know. The existing setting was en0 with WiFi checked on. When I changed to en1 and WiFi on, I lost my network connection altogether (IE wouldn;t load pages). So, I am back to en0 and WiFi on.

5. BostonMac

BostonMac Bit poster

Parallels has issued Beta3. My Networking works now.

No problem connecting from Mac OS X to a shared folder in Win 98 using

smb://192.168.0.7/SHARED

Connecting from Win 98 to Mac OS X using

\\192.168.0.3\xxxxx (where xxxxx is my user name)

I get the connection but then a message that the password is not correct. This may now be the issue of encrypted vs plain-text passwords in Mac OS X 10.4. I'll explore that later tonight.

In any case, going from Mac OS X to Win 98 takes care of my current needs.

6. jbsolutios

jbsolutios Junior Member

I too am having similar problems.

Internet access works fine, but Windows file sharing doesn't seem to work at all.

The error which I receive is as follows: -

\\192.168.1.50\f$ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have acess permissinos. The specified network name is no longer available.

I can access the same machines from Windows PCs and also from the host Mac.

Regards

JB

7. BostonMac

BostonMac Bit poster

jbsolutios,
    Have you upgraded to Beta3? That made the difference for me.

On my problem connecting from the Win98 VM to the host Mac, I find I have the same problem trying to connect to a Mac running 10.3.7, so it is not a problem specific to 10.4

Since IBeta3 allows me to connect from the host Mac to the shared folder in the Win98 VM, I can live with this situation for now.

8. jbsolutios

jbsolutios Junior Member

I have have had the same problem with beta 1, 2 and 3.

Regards

JB

9. dentate

dentate Member

Beta 3 solved this issue for me

Hmm. All of the networking issues I reported when I started this thread are solved by Beta 3. There were certain sites and servers on my office VPN that would not work with en1/wifi; but those all work now too. Plus, the VM recognizes the other network and workgroup members immediately when Network Places is opened, which is much better than my native Windows machines.

Good going, Parallels.

10. jbsolutios

jbsolutios Junior Member

Hi again

I reinstalled my Mac, reinstalled Parallels Beta 3 and reinstalled Win XP SP 2, but the problems remain and I cannot connect to Windows shares. Is it possible that someone from Parallels could look at this and comment please as this will be a major problem for us. As I said previously, the MacOS installation can access the servers perfectly.

Regards

JB

11. BostonMac

BostonMac Bit poster

Do you mean that your VM can't connect to a Windows share on another Windows PC or that you can't connect to the Mac side of the machine Parallels is running on?

In my case, I can get from the VM to the password window for the Mac side, but always get a message that the Password is incorrect. That could happen with Win95 and earlier that send plain-text passwords but shouldn;t happen with Win 98 and newer that send encrypted passwords. It appears that the password is being garbled by Parallels..

I can connect from the Mac side to the Windows share in the VM, so I am OK from a practical standpoint but it would be nice to have it work in both directions.

12. jbsolutios

jbsolutios Junior Member

Hi BostonMac

Correct - my VM cannot connect to a share on another Windows PC.

I have no problem connecting to the Mac from the VM and strangely, I can connect to \\192.168.1.50 but I cannot connect to \\192.168.1.50\c$

However, I can connect to \\192.168.1.50\c$ from any other Windows PC on the network.

Regards

JB