Question about Free Upgrades for a Year

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by phazer, Dec 1, 2006.

1. phazer

phazer Hunter

Just got the Holiday Offer Email. Will those of us who purchased Parallels before the holiday offer also be eligible for free upgrades for a year?

2. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

I ordered Parallels yesterday from Amazon and have asked Parallels if I will qualify for the free upgrades, but I haven't received a reply yet. The offer doesn't mention anything about having to buy directly from Parallels.

3. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

I bought mine on Monday. I asked, too, no response, yet.

4. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

Parallels emailed me back and said that the offer is only valid for web orders from their website only.

5. NeptuneNancy

NeptuneNancy Bit poster

I ordered the Desktop for Mac version from the website on Nov 30th, and received the free upgrades email on December 1st. Had I known about the offer, I certainly could have waited one more day to pay the $80, as I still had plenty of time left on my free trial.

If I'm not eligible for the free upgrades, I will be quite disappointed. I have emailed, but have yet to hear back.

6. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

It's been nearly two weeks and I've yet to recieve a reply from Parallels. Their customer service is making a pretty crappy impression on me, so far.

7. JDub

JDub Member

I asked this question on another thread: -

I bought my boxed copy at an Apple Store in the UK two days AFTER the promo started. I could've easily bought via the website, but didn't think there would be a difference.

Boy, was I wrong...

J>

8. akadmon

akadmon Member

I too took the plunge after reading about the offer. I bought my copy at an Apple Store, rather than download from the website (or order the box from the website) since I wanted to have the CD and the printed manual, and I did not want to wait.

I think Nova should extend the offer to all those custormers who, like me, purchased Parallels from other outlets on ot after December 1. I could understand the current policy if it explicitly stated that the offer applies to online orders only. Since it does not state this (and did not at the time I made the purchase), Nova could very well be guity of false advertising. I will be happy to provide a proof of purchase if one is required, altough I don't think I really need to, since I registered my copy of Parallels already.

EDIT: I checked the offer page just now and it does state that it is valid for downloads only. I swear this statement was not there when I first looked at it last week.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  9. Nekura

Nekura Bit poster

10. akadmon

akadmon Member

11. Nekura

Nekura Bit poster

More likely, someone merely forgot to include this information in the website marketing material. Now that many people start asking questions, the mistake was noticed and fixed.

12. akadmon

akadmon Member

That may be. However, if a store mistakenly posts a lower price tag on a displayed item (or in a printed ad), they are required by law to sell the item at the lower price.

Push comes to shove, since there is clear proof that the original annoucenment did not contain a disclaimer about retail boxes, Nova could conceivably be forced to extend the offer to all those who purchased Parallels between the original announcement and the time the disclaimer was finally put up on the web page. I'm a sure very few people relish the idea of filing a lawsuit over something that costs <$100. Still, I think it would be a morally correct thing to do for Nova to extend the offer to anyone who bought a retail box between December 1 and December 10 (today being the first day that the existence of the disclaimer was officially noted on this forum).

We shall see what happens when the next version is released. I'm thinking positive thoughts :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006