Windows Vista Installation Issues - BUILD 1970 - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vtrejo210, Nov 30, 2006.

1. vtrejo210

vtrejo210 Bit poster

Hey guys, Im using parallels desktop for mac build 1970, and I have run into this issue:

Installation proceeds fine up until the "expanding files" on the windows vista installer reach 100% and then suddenly I get a message on the Mac OS saying that I need to restart my computer and that I can hold down the power button for several seconds to do so. When the computer boots back up and I open parallels and run the windows vista VM, I get a message that says "bootmgr is missing" press crtl+alt+delete to restart". At the point where it tells me that I need to restart the computer, I dont think Windows Vista has completed installing.

I am wondering whether the windows vista installation on Parallels is causing the computer to tell me that I need to restart?

Windows XP does not run into this problem. Please let me know if this is a issue that can be fixed, I really want to try Vista out.

This is the Vista RTM 32-bit version im trying to install.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  2. HinckleyScott

HinckleyScott Member

You should get a kernel panic report on the Mac after rebooting from this. You can copy all the text out of it into a text document (or into this thread). Hopefully that will provide info that will help the Parallels folks diagnose where it is crashing.

3. vtrejo210

vtrejo210 Bit poster

How do I get that kernel panic report?

4. HinckleyScott

HinckleyScott Member

On my computer it came up automatically on the first boot after the crash.

5. toddgarvin

toddgarvin Junior Member

Vista RTM Issue

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but i've installed Vista (including the RTM) and had no problems. I'm guessing there was just a glitch in the install when your Mac crashed. I would go to your home folder > Library > Paralells and delete the Vista VM. Then try the install again being sure to use a real DVD (not an image). This should work. If not, then you may have bigger fish to fry. :confused:

6. xochi

xochi Member

1. Kernel Panic logs are located at /Library/Logs/panic.log

2. Loading Vista from an ISO is very fast and works fine -- I see no need to use a DVD. in fact, a few people have reported bugs when using DVDs. It seems ISOs may work better.