Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milesce

milesce Member

You guys are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I pre-ordered when Parallels was in Beta, and I am absolutely amazed at the progress of just a few months.

2. 5150Joker

5150Joker Bit poster

I'm getting the exact same problem. I hope this gets fixed since I'm anxious to be able to use a single XP installation rather than two of them!

3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

MacBook Pro 2G
    OSX 10.4.8 WinXP SP2 with all the latest updates.

Parallels boots the Boot Camp partition fine.
    Problem is Parallels tools.
    During installation cannot get past the Netork configuration.
    Set up is Bridged using "en1" (Airport).

Any suggestions?

BTW: Having same problem updating the "virtual drive"

ajm

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

2 words, Awe and Some!

No i can have both a Mac and Windows Clock at the same time... LOL

thanks. I have been dealing with the only drawback i have found with the MacMini (no dual screen support) this new coherence mode just opened up my world

Will let you know if i find any issues with copy and paste

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Make sure Finder is running when you install Parallels

Anyone else having trouble installing this version?

My install was failing repeatedly until I had a brainwave and launched Finder. Then it installed with no problem. You see, I run CocoaTech Pathfinder as my normal Finder replacement, and I guess teh installer is sending Applescript commands to Finder. If they fail, the installer fails.

Pathfinder is quite popular, and it has an option to quit the Finder when it launches. I recommend to Parallels that you check for the Finder process, and if it isn't available you launch it.

6. blacksheep

blacksheep Bit poster

Problem/Answer: BootCamp Windows runs real slow, programs wont launch

Just to share...

Got the bootcamp VM setup and working per instructions. XP would load, all startup apps would load, etc. However trying to open apps, nothing would load (Word, Firefox, etc).

Task Mgr shown the processes, but did not list them in the Running Apps list.

Noticed that the Apple Keyboard Manager, installed by BootCamp initially was pegging the CPU with 100% load. This is on my Macbook 13" with 2gigs of ram and latest updates all around.

Killed the process, which is not needed inside the VM, and everything works fine.

Symptoms:

Apps would not load, or take excessively long to load in XP Bootcamp VM
    Fans churning on high due to high CPU load

Cause:
    Apple Keyboard Manager

Fix:
    Kill kbdmgr.exe process in Task Manager
    (if no ctrl-alt-del, then Start, Run, and type: taskmgr and run it that way

7. blacksheep

blacksheep Bit poster

I got this when I selected the wrong profile when the VM was loading.

If you are booting into the BootCamp/XP VM, you must select both the Parallels Profile when the VM loads.

I got the exact error by picking the Windows XP profile instead, which is when I decided to RTFM and then it worked.

Hope this helps.

8. Nick Starr

Nick Starr Bit poster

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition (FAT32 non-Boot Camp) and cant' seem to get the Coherency mode to work on my MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo.

I also can't get the auto adjust screen resolution to work.

I am going to blow out this and install Boot Camp in NTFS with just XP Pro to see if that works. I don't know why MCE wouldn't work.

Either way, great work....this is truly one of the best applications to hit the mac in a long time.

9. mattmon

mattmon Bit poster

Nice Job Parallels Team!

I'd say this has been the most exciting thing to happen since the day the initial beta was released.

I can't wait until you finish coherence host integration...

10. conalho

conalho Member

Garmin Forerunner 205 NOT WORKING w/ latest beta

Like many other users of the latest beta version, we still cannot use our Garmin to work in Parallels for Mac. In fact, the 5-10 second problem does come back. I'm running the Garmin Forerunner 205. I hope this will get solved with the final release 3.0.

11. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

Well, I'm still getting the same "wait 5-10 seconds" message for my USB device. :( I know it's still beta, but I was really hoping for my USB device to work with Parallels. Hopefully it'll be working in a future release.

12. Kylew01@mac.com

Kylew01@mac.com Bit poster

I too had the same problem on my Mac Pro. However, simply putting the memory on manual did NOT fix the problem. I had to drag the slider up near the 1GB range. Much below that and my system would still become unresponsive.

2.66, 2GB RAM, 1900XT

13. 5150Joker

5150Joker Bit poster

Mind elaborating a bit? Not really sure what you said there.

14. davaodude

davaodude Bit poster

Virtual machine won't start after upgrading

I just upgraded to build 3036 Beta, and now my virtual machine (Windows XP Pro) won't start. I get the following error:

Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

Unable to get the geometry of the virtual hard disk. Perhaps file /Users/Shared/Parallels/winxp.hdd is not a valid virtual hard disk image file.

This virtual machine was working fine in the previous (retail) version of Parallels. Any ideas what I can do to get the beta working with my existing image?

15. sonicbug

sonicbug Bit poster

share printer?

Hello, I just installed the new version 3036; it seems awesome. Will it be safe to use as long as a backup of essential files are stored on auxillary storage like a usb key, or cd. When I mention essential files I am referring to code, and uml diagrams. I mean to say does saving work without any problems. Besides that, I was now wondering is it now possible to be able to print out from ms visio using a network printer using coherence. I was unable to print out before this update. I basically have a printer connected to a pc via usb and I want to be able to access that printer from within win xp home on my macbook. At the present time I am able to print from os 10.4.8 with no problems, but when I try and print something from a windows application like visio I can't print it out in coherence mode. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

16. davaodude

davaodude Bit poster

Nevermind, it was a file permissions issue. Somehow the file permissions on that virtual machine got changed during the install. Issue resolved.

17. rqc

rqc Bit poster

Parallels 3036 and Vista

I've got the same problem. A saved state Vista RTM VM that worked under v1970 cannot boot under v3036 unless I start the VM in safe mode. I'm using a MacBook Pro C2D.

18. briany

briany Bit poster

Problems with 3036 Beta

I've installed the beta and some things work but others don't.

The VM browser doesn't work at all. Whenever I start Parallels Desktop (or select "open") I instead get the "New VM Creator" window opening up. Selecting "cancel" quits the program. The only way I can open a VM is to double-click on it, which also starts it (something I don't necessarily want). When creating a VM, the "create a shortcut on the desktop" option also seems to do nothing.

I haven't yet tried to run a Windows XP VM based on Bootcamp (and I won't until I can figure out what's causing these problems). Anyone have any ideas?

19. rqc

rqc Bit poster

FYI, XP Pro is working fine...

20. marchaos

marchaos Bit poster

Did you install the parallels tools in windows before trying it in parallels?

"You need to boot in your Windows XP natively through Boot Camp and install Parallels Tools for Boot Camp package in it before your first boot in Parallels Desktop for Mac."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.