"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nerdboy, Dec 1, 2006.

1. nerdboy

nerdboy Bit poster

Support:

Really love the new features, Good Job.

Booted XP Pro with BootCamp.

I installed the Parallels tools on my NTFS formatted Bootcamp Partition (named UNTITLED) and rebooted.

Followed all the directions in the documentation to set up Parallels to use the BootCamp partition and I keep getting the message:

"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!"

Read the forums here and thought I would start a new thread

I can provide more data if need be.

Any help would be appreciated

2. sylere

sylere Bit poster

Same problem on a MBP 2GHZ

3. drzeus

drzeus Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem!

I have looked everywhere for a solution but I can't figure out what the problem is. I even tried to select "Parallels configuration" when Boot Camp loads natively but I get a "cannot find system32\hal.dll" even though the file is there. If you select the normal Windows XP during Boot camp initiation, XP loads fine into boot camp.

So effectively Parallels fails to load the boot camp image for some reason....Any clues from anyone? Parallels staff?

PS: I HAVE installed the parallels tools for boot camp on the boot camp partition..

4. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I have the same problem. 20" iMac Core 2 Duo with 2GB.

5. mr_bill

mr_bill Bit poster

I'm in the same boat. According to the sticky thread about build 3036, this is a problem afflicting Boot Camp partitions formatted as FAT32, not NTFS. Parallels is working on a fix.

Overall though, I gotta say that this is one incredible beta release. Go Parallels!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  6. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

I have been out of touch (no Internet for 2 months :eek: ) and the forum's search function doesn't seem to be working....
    Where can I find these directions?

7. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

ok - found it

8. nezermundy

nezermundy Junior Member

Same problem here!

9. danfr

danfr Bit poster

MBP CD2

Reinstalled windows several times

installed the bootcamp tools on Fat32

"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!" every time

looking forward to the public release.

purchased back when in beta.

delighted to see the money is being reinvested, future looks good for you guys :)

10. Junado

Junado Bit poster

I have the same problem and my Win XP drive is indeed formatted as FAT32, could it be the issue?

11. ATXP

ATXP Member

I almost wanna punch in my credit card number to buy Parallels after reading the 3036 update. Tried out the demo and it didn't work. Yup, same problem as everyone here with the FAT32 bug. Luv to get Parallels but I have to be sure that the stuff works first. Guess, I shall wait for the fix on the next beta or so.

12. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

Okay, so my problem is the fat-32 issue. I really like the new interface and my XP in the disk images seem more snappy than before. Can't wait to try out the boot camp, I'll be patient.

13. macsurferuk

macsurferuk Bit poster

Me too!
    Looking forward to update - great work guys

imac 24" Core2Duo 10.4.8

14. Gricey

Gricey Bit poster

Not good enough

This isn't good enough, you can search the whole forums and you'll see many people all with this same problem.

I've never been able to make it work, and I paid for the upgrade to 3.0 hoping it would have fixed itself, no longer being 'beta'.

Come on Parallels, work out what the problem is and fix it or let us know, I feel quite let down by the lack of input from the people selling this software. Yes the software is good but the support leaves a lot to be desired.

Kinda miffed,
    Gricey.

15. dna3e8

dna3e8 Bit poster

NO support

I am getting the same error... I am so glad i did not Buy it yet.. time to try Vm ware

16. Gricey

Gricey Bit poster

Got it working, here's what I did:

added the disk line into the .pvs file (Boot Camp;disk0s3)
    booted into boot camp normally, copied the file C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab (even tho I had SP2 it didnt have that file and parallels needs it, so make a copy)

Booted back into MacOS X, fired up the parallels VM and it just worked.

I think the problem here is that the 'unable to open disk image boot camp!' is a generic error message, and quite misleading that it can't find the file sp2.cab ...

Hope this helps someone else as mad as I was!

Gricey.

17. PlainBlack

PlainBlack Bit poster

I've demo'd Parallels 2 and now 3 and couldn't get it to run off my Boot Camp image. I'm pretty sure I had done as Gricey suggested and copied driver.cab, then renamed to sp2.cab, but the file didn't exist when I checked. I did so, and now it works!

Pretty excited about this. No more managing 2 XP installs. I just purchased my license for Parallels 3.

18. moseph

moseph Bit poster

I have this similar problem often where my parallels bootcamp session will not boot and give me a similar error to what you guys are getting and usually i have to either reboot or mount the ntfs partition manually with diskutility. The one thing in know that works everytime i try to boot from my bootcamp partition is VMware Fusion. I have had less trouble with VMware fusion booting from bootcamp. I don't have coherence mode but then again i didn't use it often with Parallels desktop. USB connectivity seems to also work better under the VMware beta. I have had more issues with the retail release of Parallels in a business environment than I have had with VMware fusion. I have recently purchased Parallels Desktop 3.0 and there seem to be some of the same issues left over from the last major release. The beta of VMware fusion is free and works every time with my bootcamp partition where as with parallels it sometimes will not boot bootcamp and will through up the error you guys are getting and a reboot usually fixes it.

I am a fan of Parallels but a bigger fan of VMware's Fusion beta. :cool:

MBP 2.33 17"

19. sabotage

sabotage Bit poster

problem solved

Suggestion to copy driver.cab to sp2.cab solved my problem as well! Seems like I read of this fix a very long time ago but completely forgot about it. You would think this would be resolved by now

-sab