Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

No, you cannot use an XP Pro Retail (or even OEM) key with an XP Corp edition. Again, you fix activation issues by using the Parallels Tools for Boot Camp. But... If you haven't changed the hardware, even if Windows gets de-activated, you can just re-activate, and it will work. (Assuming, of course, you're using a legal copy.)

2. coc

coc Bit poster

I am getting the same problem, using a Mac Pro with a 13 inch Apple Display.

3. coc

coc Bit poster

I meant 23 inch Apple Display

4. brokenbottle

brokenbottle Bit poster

bootcamp tools download issues

Is anyone else having issue downloading the bootcamp tools? When I try, it downloads like 90kb then the feed stops... I'm REALLY excited to test this out :)

5. Cheezmo

Cheezmo Bit poster

My initial problems (keyboard, activation)

When starting up under boot camp, the keyboard is not active so there is no way to select the configuration to boot under. The way I found to work around this was to connect an external USB keyboard, which would then work.

Also, booting under Parallels put it in "you must activate" mode (since as far as it is concerned, the hardware has changed), I reactivated when booted under boot camp and was able to do it online. Not sure if it is going to come up every time one goes back and forth between Boot Camp and Parallels.

6. Art

Art Junior Member

Hi,

updating Parallels Tools in my virtual machine crashed... i saw a blue screen with many white lines, it rebooted, and now it's stuck on the scandisk (stopped at 25% the first time, 18% the second time).

Hopefully i have a backup of my virtual machine!

I'll try again on another copy and i tell you if it crashes again.

(by the way: it is on a brand new C2D MacBook with 2GB RAM)

Art

7. trent

trent Bit poster

How do you do that?

8. bnz

bnz Member

Wow! With such a feature packed free release, i have problems imagining how good the next paid update must be. Can't wait for it ;-) Thanks for this early christmas gift!

9. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Thx m8! :eek:

Looks very good :D

10. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

11. j-active

j-active Member

Wow. Nice work Parallels team. This is a stunning release.

I have run into a problem. I have a 2nd disk with bootcamp installed. When I tried to install the tools for boot camp app, I received an error that says, "Your configuration is not currently supported, but we hope to resolve this in an upcoming release". And the installer just quits.

Hardware: Mac Pro, 2GB, 2 disks (one is OS X, the other is NTFS/Windows XP SP2 using bootcamp)

What is the specific conflict and how do I resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

12. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Is (Ubuntu) Linux also supported?
    Or will there be Linuxsupport for Coherency in the future?

13. peeInMyPantz

peeInMyPantz Bit poster

Hi, i am having the same problem as both of you. I'm running on C2D macbook 2GB. Followed the instructions (install xp with bootcamp, install parallels tools in xp, set up VM in mac os)

I don't really understand what you mean by having a second partition on the drive? maybe u r installing in the external drive. I have mine in installed in the macbook hd, so there are 2 partitions, the macOS partition, and the bootcamp partition.

14. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Parallels COMPRESSOR is BROKEN in this beta!!!!

I tried to compress my XP VM twice with the same result:

After the reboot it took a unusual long time in the prepare to compact disk stage. Then it went to 100% and the window went dark and nothing happened. Seemed to be frozen. Had to stop the VM.

This no good!!!

15. cesjr

cesjr Bit poster

love coherence, but hate the windows taskbar

It's too tacky sitting stuck on top of the dock. I would suggest putting a dock icon into the dock that can access the start menu, XP windows, etc. I think VPC used to have something like this (without coherence of course).

16. dailo

dailo Member

Were you able to solve this problem? I am running into the same problem, but I have BootCamp installed!

17. PetraHonig

PetraHonig Junior Member

Hi Andrew,

this thread is quiet large now, hope you find my posting.

This issue must be based on an iMac (24"). When I run coherence mode on my macbook, this look well. If I use the same VM on my iMac, the fonts look like 5x magnified. I have attached a JPG screen dump.

Attached Files:

18. xyx

xyx Bit poster

Mediafour MacDrive

Will it be possible to use for example MediaFours MacDrive 6 to access my Mac/HFS+ partitions from a "boot camp loaded" virtual machine?

As of now the Mac partitions seem to be invisible to MacDrive in Parallels.

19. Tim Henrion

Tim Henrion Bit poster

Issue with installing Parallels Tools for non-admin users

I noticed one thing when I upgraded to this beta:

I have fast user switching enabled on my Macbook Pro. Each user has one or more VMs installed. This Parallels beta was installed by an admin user and installation of the new Parallels Tools went fine. When I started a VM of a non-admin user and started the "Install Parallels Tools" menu action, it simply hung and the installer never ran. I had to manually edit the VM to mount the VMTOOLS.ISO image and start the Parallels Tools installer manually.

20. patrickmast

patrickmast Member

I had to do the same. MacPro 2x3Ghz, 4GB Ram. Setting the memory to automaticaly, my system hung, setting it to manualy, 512 MB, my system hun, setting the slider to 1024Mb, I could get the windows started.

--
    Sincerely,

Patrick Mast,
    xHarbour.com Inc.
    http://www.xHarbour.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.